THe hammer has fallen on nightlife

BKK_DJ

Hardy641 said:

Well never been to Vegas myself, but if the numbers mentioned in previous post are correct (35 Mill) Vegas attracts 3 times more tourists than the whole of Thailand. Not bad for a city in the middle of a desert.

Lets differentiate then : all of LOS tourists come from abroad. Probably as much as 90 - 95 % of Vegas tourists are from the USA.

BB

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yep, probably I am lost on the Vegas attraction for Americans. I have never been there JJ :D The closest I have been to the US is Cuba.

I am a prime example why Thailand attracts tourists from European countries. In Norway, its just been rising and rising. What was an exclusive and exotic country has become one of the most popular destinations from here. It also has spin offs, numerous Thai resturants have opened up in my small country. And it ain't just the Thai immigrants who cause this.

Maybe the US is different when it comes to holiday destinations?

Cheers!

CBK,

I agree that you can't reall compare Vegas and LOS in their entirety but there are some comparisons to be drawn in this instance. Single travellers rather than familes is a good example, where the single tourists spend more money. I don't have any stats to back it up.

FYI, Vegas has surppassed Chicago as the biggest convention destination in the US, and they have the highest number of hotel rooms of any city in the US. And, Vegas is a huge destination for wealthy Asians as they love to gamble.

I don't care much for Vegas, but there's a lot more to do there than gamble.

Do you even need stats to back up a theory of why single travellers should spend more than families? It's common sense! For a start, 5 single travellers will hire 5 separate hotel rooms whereas a family might hire just one for the parents and one for the kids. Taxis - mmmm.. I don't think the families will take separate ones. Meals - they'll almost certainly spend less, etc, etc. It's economies of scale!

(And that's aside from the supposition that single travellers will have more to spend, just as they do in their home countries, precisely because they don't have families to take care of.)

I notice the question of why European families would want to spend 12+ hours each way on a plane with a bunch of screaming kids went unanswered too...

Jeez, check-bin-krap - give it up! You've got your family sorted, you're leading in the football fantasy league... what more do you want?:dunno:

:D Bibblies, my lead in fantasy prem is temporary... And its not Choco Steve who will overrun me :)

True, a family has other priorities than sanukers. I would guess that they leave their cash other places also. The first time I went to LOS, the daily payment to the bar cut heavily into my budget. Sanukers are limited in numbers. You can just get a small number of horn dogs, while families on vactions is huge. Or backpackers and youngsters for that matter. If Thailand turn those away because of strict opening hours, they are in shit.

I guess that last sentence makes me agree with the sentiment here, but I am pretty sure any backslash will be corrected.

Cheers!

It seems to me that there are 4 types of potential tourists to thailand that might be affected by this issue:

the "sex tourists" who obviously like the nightlife

the young, full moon party animal, backpacker type who also like to stay out late

the family groups who know about the sleazier side but don't care and still come, and who might also enjoy a late night out.

the family groups who are put off from coming by Thailands reputation...the "quality tourists" ?

(there are others, such as the asian package tours, and business visitors, who won't be affected much by this)

Presumably the govt want to attract the 4th type to come by cleaning up the country's reputation, but how are they going to know about the curfews ? They would n't read nightlife websites like this, and I've never seen any stories about the 'cleanup" in the mainstream press here in Oz since the crackdown started, so they will probably still think all of Thailand is full of sex shows, and stay at home.

On the other hand, the first 2 groups WILL read about the early closings and nightlife restrictions on websites like nanaplaza.com and the Lonely Planet's Thorn Tree forum. If even only a fraction of these 2 groups decide to go elsewhere, they will be visitors lost and not replaced.

the end result ? a net loss in tourist baht and everything that flows on from that.

First trip t Vegas I had all the usual ideas about the place, and was stunned to see som many families in the breakfast!

It really is a "Family" place for some, and for other parts, definately not family entertainment.

I think many like me didn;t realise it was so close to gran canyon and all the things you can do there too

DOG

To Thai3: Yes I am performing with one of the groups, we are 4 farangs and 1 Thai and yes I have met most of the "freaks" though it is usually one per group.

Poster about musicinstruments: We always have a guy playing drums and a guitarplayer.

Posters about effects to all the nightlife: My points exactly they are hurting all the nightlife not just "us" ... not just the naughty nightlife. They are actually sparing the naughty nightlife ..... look at the zoning.

They are hurting the Thais with this especially the richer ones whom like a night out! and many of the Thais are mad about it. Like a rich Thai friend of mine said (whom accidentily is a high ranking police officer supposed to enforce this): "The government is now attacking our lifestyle (sanuk) and wanting us to change to something that we are not, these are going to be hard times because I have to enforce it and everybody is going to get pissed with me while I cannot do anything. If I do not enforce it I will lose my job." He also added: "I will not make the mistake of ever voting for TRT again".

CM

This group must be fairly new then, look foward to seeing a performance sometime. Are you always at rama 9? I don't know why they started to play music so loudly there, last time had to retreat to the glassed off room at the side.You get great service there and the food is good. Krungton is a better place but number 1 for me are the napali cafe's.I have heard some falang critiscm of the 'freak' acts as mocking the various types that appear and even of child abuse, I think they are just trying to make a living, sadly being made harder-peter

Archived