THe hammer has fallen on nightlife

BKK_DJ

Lets differentiate then : all of LOS tourists come from abroad. Probably as much as 90 - 95 % of Vegas tourists are from the USA.

------------------------

BTW, not as a contradiction, just an addendum, last year was the first time that domestic tourism in Thailand was deemed to be higher than international tourism.

I do not know/remember how it was researched, and the numbers are not so important than the trend itself which concerned not just people going places but also monies spent.

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

>> My friend's thoughts are that this will have a HUGE impact on upcoming elections.

?I hope your friend is right, but I?m not so sure. Many Thais are politically naïve, just like the majority of voters in 1st world countries, who simply believe media propaganda. I was talking to a girl the other night, who thought that Toxin was great for Pattaya because he will stop police corruption. She?d just been on the spot fined for spruiking on Walking Street, trying to get customers up to her gogo on a side street (I didn?t even realise that was illegal). She?d no idea that if Toxin and his Thai Love Thai party mayor in Pattaya had their way, she?d be out of a job completely.

Bangkok is a large capital city, not dependent on sex tourism to make money. NEP and SC if they close, will be quickly absorbed and developed for other business purposes. Pattaya on the other hand is built on sex. The whole town is one enormous NEP and SC. If they closed the bars and the sex industry here overnight, I reckon the place would become a semi ghost town. Over several years they could possibly turn it into a family resort. But at the moment the beach is shithouse (Phuket, Krabi and Koh Samui much much better), and all Pattaya has to offer a family is tacky goods stalls, counterfeit DVDs, cruel animal displays in nearby zoos, and water sports in a polluted sea, although it does have excellent restaurants and lots of golf courses. Maybe that?s what tourists want. If the Chinese prize tiger penis soup, then I suppose they don?t mind having their photo taken astride a doped up giant cat. There?s huge development going on here at the moment, so I don?t know what the powers that be have planned, but if they come down hard on the bars and gogo scene, there are going to be a lot of empty hotel rooms.

The only way to end sex tourism is for Thai leaders to raise the standard of living in Thailand, give its citizens a decent education, worthwhile career prospects, just labour laws, a health system, social security net, and end police and government corruption. Banning/curtailing sanuk by law only creates a black market and increases corruption. But TIT.

I wouldn?t dream of going to Singapore for sanuk. It was cheap as chips there 30 years ago, but not anymore, so I don?t go.

:beer:

Thai3: No we perform there very irregularly, depending on the queue. Mostly in other places like Krungthon, but like most groups we gather before our rounds in front of Rama IX cafe. Most groups will only have one "freak". We are the only one with four freaks (farang). We have also performed on Tong bai Krai kriat. You can see us in the opening trailer for the program.

The group has existed for 1,5 years but has known many personel changes as most farangs cannot cope with the low money/irregular working and getting called on average an hour before meeting. Only the African guy and the Thai guy have been in there from the beginning. I started about 3,5 months ago.

CM

You are looking at all from an US perspective. I have to laugh, there is a world outside your place. The cost for a trip from Europe to Thailand has been pretty much the same for 20 yrs. Thailand as a holiday destination is competing with Greece and Spain these days from where I live.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

I think this statement is wrong, airticket prices have gone up drastically over the last 3 years. Airfares are the first cost element in travel. Any increase will reduce tourist venues.

Do you know af any airline increasing the number of seats to Thailand? I don't...

A new airport for less flights???

Crazy Man said:

Mostly in other places like Krungthon, but like most groups we gather before our rounds in front of Rama IX Cafe. /quote]

Not familiar with these establishments. Can you tell me where Rama IX (I know where Thanon Rama 9 is, but not where which soi this cafe is near) and Krungthon? What is a good time in the evening to arrive?

Thanks.

pattaya127 said:

Lets differentiate then : all of LOS tourists come from abroad. Probably as much as 90 - 95 % of Vegas tourists are from the USA.

------------------------

BTW, not as a contradiction, just an addendum, last year was the first time that domestic tourism in Thailand was deemed to be higher than international tourism.

I do not know/remember how it was researched, and the numbers are not so important than the trend itself which concerned not just people going places but also monies spent.

P,

The number of 11 million from TAT is of INcoming tourists, not including locals.

BB

More of note IMO would be the % of those from Asia. Particularly SE Asia and China. This would be roughly the geographic size of the US market area for LV. Say a 4-5 hour flying time.

I would expect that LOS also draws mostly Regional Area tourists and that this sector will have the largest growth in the future.

Robaus said

The only way to end sex tourism is for Thai leaders to raise the standard of living in Thailand, give its citizens a decent education, worthwhile career prospects, just labour laws, a health system, social security net, and end police and government corruption. Banning/curtailing sanuk by law only creates a black market and increases corruption. But TIT.

I wouldn?t dream of going to Singapore for sanuk. It was cheap as chips there 30 years ago, but not anymore, so I don?t go.

100% correct.

With all the harshest measures in the world sex worker and client will still manage to hook up somehow especially as the economic imperative in thailand is so great.

They can close all the bars and the gals will go to coffee shops or pool halls or shopping malls to pick up their clientele.

Let's not forget the internet either.

How can they stop people hooking up via the net?

In fact i believe that the prices for sanuk would go down if there was a significant decrease in sex tourism.

check_bin_krap said:

This is a discussion which comes again and again here. Family and other tourism will eventually kill off farang nitelife. Already, backpackers and people going to islands in the south are higher in numbers than the sanukers. Wouldn't invest in a bar in PP or Nana now.

But, no problem - seasoned ones will move into Thai nitelife. Which will always be there. So no reason to moan!

Cheers!

Many of these 'backpackers and people going to the islands' in the south are partaking of the cheap sex available. I see it all the time I am there.

Archived