travel photography

pattaya127

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Best price in SFO so far with lens is $1250+ tax, but "...we'll work with you on that..." also said I could sign one out and see how I like it... Additional costs are Flash and Compact flash cards...so I'm guessing around $1800++ to start...might go take one out for the day and see...already have some extra Nikon lenses...

Maybe, but it's important to take in consideration the warranty deal as repairs are expensive on these (any) cameras, back in the west. make sure that the warranty is long enough to be worthy, and covers the american continent.

same buying the camera from a "give you good deal" store in US. Most guarantees cover parts and labor for 3 months, then it's parts only I think for the next 9 months (12 total).

At least, some of the big stores in SF sell extra guarantee for 3 or 5 years, covering evrything save theft, and totaling of camera (like went under a truck or ruined from prolonged water submersion). I know it was paid back easily with my video camera and CD player that travelled, bungled in my pack, so many countries and needed maintenance.

• 4 weeks later...

OH, the Nikon D70 is a good bet in that price range :) However, Mamiya is going to rock the market in the next year allegedly with a 21 Megapixel entry into the digital line.

The entry is a consumer market grading of pixels, which still will not stack up against the phase-one backs with less megapixels attached to a high end 4x5 or likewise.

However, I must say of the digital world that I hate working with the files if the end result is to be a print. If its a picture glowing on a screen that's fine RGB additive colour, but once you start printing its downhill :banghead:

The technology of scanning a negative on a high-end Imacon or Drum Scanner still produces a far superior digital print.. I don't know about the quality going from RAW files to Lightjets [Digital Printers that Create RA-4 Colour Prints]. I have only seen scanned negatives again in this combination.

I never fancied Hasselblad's just because they were 6x6 the frame is too box-y and central. The photographic equivalent of a snare drum with no accompaniment. However, fashion mavens have used them for years.

Best,

the_numbers

Stickman is an excellent photograher IMO he must have lots of good stuff. I seem to only take photos of singers and concerts.Never understood why processing is so expensive in LOS, almost as much as at home. There are cheaper places but the quality is worse. I assume you don't mean pics of spotty arsed bar girls?-peter

Hi,

"Never understood why processing is so expensive in LOS, almost as much as at home."

Uh... I think it is *much* cheaper than in the West. 4x6's cost only 4 Baht (I think) to get developed here and another 20 Baht or so for processing costs. Full roll of film (36 pics) costs less than 200 Baht. And done in a few hours.

No way I could get it done for that price back home.

Sanuk!

I am pretty sure it's more than you say around suk, I did find a cheap place near to the asia hotel very busy with lots of thais there, but the quality was not up to it. I use the guy on soi 23 near cowboy with the internet in the shop as well. I think he charges me about 250-peter

Archived