Lost my sympathy for Bigley

I felt extremely sorry for the guy a couple of days ago after seeing his videod plea to Tony Blair, but that sympathy has greatly diminished, for these two reasons, mainly the second one.

The guy hasnt lived in the UK or paid a bean of UK tax since long before Tony Blair came to power, and has made his home in Thailand and the Middle East. Why should he tear at the heart strings of a government and nation he walked away from long ago?

He was crying on the video claiming that his wife wouldn't be able to cope alone. At the time I pictured some frail Liverpudlian woman. In fact she is Thai and lives in Bangkok, miles away from Bigley in Iraq and his family in Liverpool. He was clearly quite happy to leave her to go to make huge sums of money living and working in a war zone, living in a house with no security to save extra money.

She looks about 25 although one claim in the papers was that she is 43 (to his 62) and they met and married in the middle East. This despite the fact that she clearly can't speak good English, as seen by her translated plea, so one wonders whether they did indeed meet in the middle East at all (what would a Thai woman who can't speak English be doing there?). Bigley's wife was kept out of the spotlight until yesterday, and now I can see why. She didn't look too upset on the video plea by her, and read the 2 sentences off a cue board. Perhaps there is a nice life insurance policy in place, or perhaps its just my cinicism of Thais and wealth showing through.

She wouldn't be able to cope without him? Perhaps he should have thought of that before leaving her by choice to head to a war zone.

I think that greed and wishing to cash in on the Iraqis misfortune may have led him there, but at the end of the day, lets hope he will be ok.

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"Please please help me see my wife who cannot cannot go on without me."

Perhaps he means I don't want my wife to be living the high life on my money, perhaps off with a new farang, for the next 40 years when my plan was to be there in 3 weeks time shagging her whilst spending my thousands earned in Iraq on short-time hotels.

So cynical ::

Did he denounce the UK at sometime? If not I don?t see any reason why he shouldn?t plea for help from his native country.

Living in Iraq with the threat of kidnap and beheading a guy must take the attitude that the unthinkable is not going to happen to him otherwise how could he stay there. I can?t begin to imagine how it must feel to be in his shoes.

so because of your assumptions and views about the Man then he deserves to die.......?.

so someone working abroad and with a Thai Wife who might have not been so 'good' deserves to die?

so someone who is working abroad and MAYBE trying to improve his life and the life of Iraquis deserves to die?

yes,as you say VERY CYNICAL.

He must have seen the news about the Telegraph reporter who was kidnapped last month and who was only released because he was a reporter. Those that don't heed pay the price.

I think he pleaded with the kidnappers to let him make that video with the full knowledge of what trauma it would cause back in the UK. But a guy facing death probably doesn't care what he puts other people through, especially politicians in a country he doesn't even want to live in.

I didn't say that he deserved to die, I said that I hope he will be released, but it's unlikely, and if he does die, then he is most to blame. He is bound to claim that he is trying to improve the life of Iraqis in the same way as the average barfining English teacher claims that he is in Thailand to help Thais.

Yes he has renounced the UK. There is a shortage of civil engineers here and yet he has spent many years working abroad, assumedly because he doesn't want to or like living in the UK and prefers elsewhere. So why should a country he doesn't want to live in or contribute to have to bend over backwards to help him and put itself at great risk by showing weakness?

What BS you are writing. As long as he is a British subject, he is entitled to ask for help in emergency situations abroad.

You are off target when you write that "he is to blame". There is a lot of Brits in Iraq, and I haven't seen any effort from the British government to pull them out.

Finally, blaming a victim like that makes me sick. :banghead::cussing:

I agree, unsecured house seems weird to me. It depends also on where he worked? Was there are secured alternatives there?

Do you have any facts on this? Who was his employer? They have to share the blame if they allowed this. In high risk places - its quite common to have restrictions to avoid such problems if its a sensible employer.

But, some areas simply don't have that option available.

Another apologist. You stated that Bigley is mostly to blame!! For what? What has he done to anyone? Have you seen any of the beheading videos? I have, and noone deserves to die like that. (except the terrorists)

In a western country, if an animal was killed in that manner, the apologists would be screaming for the death penalty. What the hell has this guy done other than go to work everyday and try to earn a living. Or, should he just stay at home and cower under his bed as the apologists think the world should do.

Archived