Lost my sympathy for Bigley

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I can understand the desperation of the family. The Bigly brothers are not international law experts, or diplomats and they are behaving in typical scouse fashion. They are however being paraded as such.

I think the families efforts are working and that is to the families credit.

I agree that the guy hasnt spent much time in the UK himself, however his elderly mother and son are therefore they are entitled to full government support.

In fact irrespective of whether he has lived in the UK it is good to see him getting full support.

After all those "pakis" fighting against coaltion troops in Afghanistan with UK passports got full UK support and are continuing to do so at camp x-ray in Cuba.

STH

FZW,

People handle grief in different ways, quite possibly she was in shock, shy etc etc.....

Many times people when making appeals for info on murdered loved ones look cold and indifferent.... and people say I bet they did it...

What would you expect to see, cry baby antics of the lower class plebs,m or someone keeping it together.

STH

i haven't seen it myself, i just posted what the missus said after she watched it, in thai, while the women made a statement in thai. so, basically, i am not in a position to judge.

nevertheless, what the wife said or not said, whatever his motives of going to irak, has nothing to do with the ordeal of her husband, who has the right to live like everybody else. and even though i am opposed completely to the war, and understand that hostagetaking from the viewpoint of the "terrorists" is a very effective weapon against the military might of the alliance, i still feel very sorry for every hostage. the same way i feel sorry for every US soldier being killed or wounded, for every iraki killed or wounded, for every "terrorist" killed our wounded.

one useless death after the other in that complete desaster, that disgrace, that perversion of everything humanity strives for.

simply sickening.

Nice to see Mr Kurt posting, some good points. Seems to me whenever someone gets into trouble in foriegn parts there is always a baffling anti faction with a 'they were asking for it' attitude. Recently we have seen this with the thread on the brit tourists shot to death by a policeman, 'well what did they expect if they hit a copper', and now this. Going back a bit I can recall several others, including the guy who got his head smashed in a NP toilet. Why is there seldom much compassion for such unfortunate incidents? At the same time there always seems to be a lot of (I think) misguided sympathy for falang convicts in LOS, but not so often for victims.-peter

Thing is, Thai3, the only difference between a convict, say a drug smuggler, and Ken Bigley is that one broke a law. Apart from that, both took a risk to try to make a large sum of money, and both have to bear responsibility for their decisions and actions if the risk backfires on them and has a disasterous affect on their life.

As for the shot backpackers, they deserve full sympathy as there isn't even any evidence that they intentionally put themselves into a dangerous situation.

samy said:

The guy went to Iraq with a blaze attitude, joking to his friend "everyone dies once."

Samy:

You may very well have information I don't. The only reference I have seen in the news media is that a couple of weeks before the 3 were taken hostage, an Iraqi neighbor urged him to leave, and he jokingly -- again, according to news reports -- made the statement.

I remember many years ago when my best friend's sister with whom I was madly in love objected to my being a lawman. I had stopped by her home before I went on duty. She told me how worried about me she was, though she had no romantic affection for me.

I jokingly said, laughing, "I don't think I'm going to get machine-gunned on the little hamlet's streets where I work tonight!"

This is a hard woman -- she is today -- but she burst into tears and veritably screamed at me, "DON'T YOU REALIZE SOME OF US LOVE YOU?" then told me to get the hell out as she fled out of the living room.

I can understand what Bigley was saying. We never think the unthinkable will happen to us.

Respectfully,

Mekhong Kurt

True enough M K, but going into a warzone which has filled the headlines every day for years now despite the pleas of ones family, and deciding to live in an non-secured complex to save money despite daily multiple kidnappings and murders isn't a particualrly responsible way to act.

According to the Telegraph, he went there trusting his "streetwiseness" to get him through it....

People in this thread are expressing their views that Bigley's appearence in the tape was something that was up to him. For crying out loud, this is kidnappers tactics. He had no choice. Either he did it or head off.

He is no free person doing as he wants. All you see of him is done by script from kidnappers. Leave him be, don't trash him or his family who are doing their best! I find it very offensive.

If there should be any discussion, it should be what the Brits should do. I think they are doing right here, don't give an inch to the kidnappers. Other countries give in behind the scenes. I respect the Brits and trust that they do not do that.

How can you compare someone who breaks the law and puts other peoples lives at risk, with an innocent man who is just trying to earn some money legally for his retirement by helping Iraq get back on it's feet? You'd have a different angle if it was your dad-peter

Archived