Lost my sympathy for Bigley

my friend has his memories,but has forgiven.

and he's a lucky barstard,going out with a young Chinese reporter(from their version of the BBC in London)and he is a sprightly Guy in his 70's.

i have asked him to join this Board,but as far as i know he never has.

he has had the pleasure of visiting the London Contingent and having a night out with Carew66,STH and BangkokButcher and i know he had a good time.....

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think the original post is just ridulous.

As for picking on his wife, she's just discovered her husband, who is away earning a good living for them is now most likely NOT coming back, was the teelecast in English, again not her native tounge, and she is probably like most Thai women, very shy when it comes to atttention, she must have hundreds of journos calling her up, while she is in shock, and you want a better "Show".

FARK - who knows how I'd go if it was me, would I burst into tears thinking I'd never see jingjoe again, would I be like those Italians who tore of there eye badnage and said "This is how a Italian dies", or would I just be also in shock totally thinking this is some horrible mistake and will go away, please go away.

DOG

Samy,

I see no problem when a native person requests help from his native country. It doesn't matter whether he is working and living in his country at the time. He is a citizen of that country until his death and beyond.

I find no fault with his desire to work overseas to make a living. Hey, how many people do you think want to come to thailand to live and work? I would only question people's judgment as to their choice to work in places where terror exist

As to his wife, yes the first thing i thought (really due to age difference and her photo) was he probably met her in not a way that the media would want to broadcast publicly? But that is irrelevant to the situation at hand. The other thai wife and her relationship to the now deceased got a lot of publicity. Unfortuantely, the amount of coverage (minimal to a lot) will always have discriminatory perspectives based on the backgrounds of the people involved. It is no different on how some poor balck kid in a bad section of town gets murdered will receive a line or two on page 8 compared to a upper-middle class housewife murder victim of an executive who will get first page coverage and photos. Just the way how the media and our society in general are.. The poor and/or non-admirable professions will always get the short end of the stick (in this case minimal media coverage)....

I also don't agree with your comment about english teachers. I am teaching english here and i nor have i ever heard another teacher make a statement about coming to thailand to help thailand's young. We all know we came for the social aspects here. But it doesn't mean some don't contribute when they are here. I think it is very rare will one ever hear what you claim to state. But i will add, to those who i taught, they have been very pleased with my efforts and commitment to them. Are there good englsih teachers here? Yes, but I will give you that the number is a minority; my guess would be probably around 20%....

As to your comment about "being out of here" is baffling. Like the next guy, i don't like personal attacks and unfortunately in an amateur forum like this is, many people cannot or don't have the ability to debate and discuss opinions and issues in a professional and discreet fashion. Just minimize your conversation with them if that is how you feel. But to start a thread and then say you are going to run away puts a big question on one's creditabiility....

Cardinalblue

The guy went to Iraq with a blaze attitude, joking to his friend "everyone dies once". Then he found out the realisation of this situation and expects the entire British government to drop its longstanding terrorist policy, which he should have been aware of, to bail him out. He took a risk and got caught out, and has to bear responsibility for that.

I only saw his Thai wife's appeal after a Thai friend asked me about it. He said that it looked insincere and when I saw it, I agreed. So why do I have to be "respectful" and restrain myself from sharing that opinion just because it isn't particularly pleasant?

Suduam,

lets not turn this into a political debate, but Iraq was not exactly a role-model country before the invasion. It has been in a screwed up state for many many years. People were dying there and nobody cared and the media had little coverage of it. Now we get minute to minute coverage of the dying....

Please speak with educated Iraqis about what happened and was happening over the last 25 years there...

It just that the media and the world really didn't care because they weren't directly impacted by local issues there...

Who really knows if it is worse off or better off especially in the long run.

The only difference is who is doing the dying and the numbers can be compared and debated.....

Cardinalblue

Archived