Lost my sympathy for Bigley

>>How about the thousands of Western soldiers, Iraqi soldiers, and Iraqi civilians who have already died and who would probably would much preferred to be elsewhere given the choice? I'm just sick of seeing this one guy all over the headlines demanding that the rights of the few (one) be put above the rights of the many who will suffer similar fates if people start giving in to hostage taker's demands. <<

Well this post is reasonable, even accurately states the policy toward hostage takers. But you don't think the guy deserved to be taken hostage do you? The fact that he knowlingly put himself at risk does not absolve the guys who think Allah wants them to remove his head.

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Quote:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

SoiSlut said:

My heartfelt sympathy goes out to all those who gave their life for the freedom of the oppressed Iraqi people!

Bless them and forever Honor them.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

fly said:

excuse me please, i can understand that one does not agree with the war and bush and all that disgraceful shit, i don't either.

but i think "blessing and forever honoring" those islamic fundamentalist terrorists does go a bit far, innit?

i mean, i agree with you, they give their life for the freedom of the iraki people, but their methods are a bit dubious, wouldn't you agree?

cordially, fly

----------

Hahaha! I almost crapped my pants thanks for that.

If you think its a mess wait until after the election. Can the US walk away and let iraq become a fundamentalist state? My money says a major push is coming, with a major build up of US troops preceding it. A draft in the US? Maybe if george can convince the people that iraq absolutely cannot be allowed to slip thru our fingers.

Whatever happens I'll be there to see it.

good post Suadam.

i have a very good friend who was in Vietnam and eventually became a POW and suffered terribly.

when the conflict ended he took part in travelling the Country and dug up bodies of UK soldiers so they could be identified and given a proper buriel.

he wanted to write a book but was banned by the UK Authorities because of the Official Secrets Act.

he only wanted to tell his story and how things were.

but a few Months ago he was invited to Vietnam by the Government and was presented with a medal for helping their Country.

he looks so proud in the Photos with his Medal,knowing he done something good to help other people.

Samy seems to think this Begley bloke must be a parasite because of his desire to work abroad(but he might be unable to work in the UK for various reasons,i and others do not know)

and as for the comments made about his Wife,they are uncalled for.

as someone said before,whatever she did in the past has no bearing on this matter.

SAMY-------GO AWAY PLEASE.........

War is terrible, I am glad your friend has found some peace Sayjann. Vietnam is a country where you can find that.

There is still a lot of problems, true. But now I think of my father in law, his passion is football as you and me. He is probably more knowledable, as he does not support any European team. He knows how Norway are doing at all times in football.. He fought in the war vs, US, that war is strong in Vietnam in memories. Propaganda posters are still hanging up in Hanoi about B52 planes. But there is no hate vs. US, go figure.. Its one of the most friendly and safe counties where US citizens can go.

I am a part of Vietnam now, I have a 50% Viet son. Stubborn as they are (but Wife says I am :D )

Cheers!

There have been some pretty harsh things said about Kenneth Bigley, with whom I have been passingly acquainted over the years, and about his wife, whom I've never met.

However, I *did* know Eugene "Jack" Armstrong quite well for a decade, and I know his wife, if to a lesser degree than I knew Jack.

Further, I have met Paul Johnson's wife a few times.

So, I have more than a clinical interest in Kenneth's situation.

I don't know Kenneth well enough to speculate on his personal motivations for remaining in the Iraq; a story in the Saturday, September 25, 2004 Nation indicates multiple tragedies in the UK drove him to seek escape.

To suggest he is there solely for big money -- unless the person so saying has direct knowledge -- is unfair, to say the least.

Last time I saw Jack -- who openly said the money was good -- he said that while the money *is* good, the only reason he was going back after a narrow escape was because the Iraqi people need and deserve our best. I knew Jack long and well enough to believe him. He was a humanitarian to the core.

In the absence of proof to the contrary, I am willing to accept as a starting premise that most civilian workers there have something in mind beyond mere money.

As for the criticisms of his wife, those are WAY out of line. Many years ago I worked in security and law enforcement and have seen people's reactions to extreme trauma when I have been the one to deliver the traumatic news. While I do not in any way pretend to have any physchological expertise beyond that any of us gain through living ordinary lives, I am not in the least bit surprised at her reaction. That she can put more than 2 words together coherently -- in a foreign language at that -- is little short of amazing, given the inconceivable stress she must be under.

Though the following point has not been a direct issue in this thread, whether any of us oppose, support, or are neutral about the war, a civilian hostage -- a non-combatant -- is an entirely different issue; mixing the arguments not only is not productive, but out-and-out counterproductive. Ad hominem arguments are out of place.

Yes, I have emotions on this issue -- of course I do: a friend was brutally slaughtered. Just today I and some other of Jack's friends held a celebratorey wake of Jack's life and, by extension, of Jack Hensley's, though none of us knew him. And we also made it a vigil hoping for Kenneth's deliverance from this unspeakable, unforgivable horror.

Another red herring is other innocents who have died. Of course that's tragic, and to *their* loved ones, equally terrible as Jack's death is to me. For Kenneth to suffer the same fate in no way helps anyone one iota.

Last Sunday, one of Jack's best friends and I were discussing the situation. Both of us are American. I am lukewarm about Bush; my friend is violently opposed to him. But we agreed we did not want Bush to alter policy and back down, in our belief that were he to do so, next time it might be -- who knows? 5? 10? 50? -- OTHER innocents, each with his or her own loved ones. And we agreed to that despite the extreme stress and worry we were experiencing hoping against hope for our friend's magical salvation.

That may happen anyway, of course.

And Kenneth may not make it. Little though I know him, I will be deeply saddened if that turns out to be the case.

I am not flaming anybody, only asking that we consider this living horror with both logic and compassion.

Thank you for this forum's giving me a chance to speak.

Sincerely,

Mekhong Kurt

Archived