Why do we tolerate this?

stonepony

On my last visit to paradise I met a fine looking sweet thing in the elevator at the Omni Hotel. We chatted and stopped at Bus Stop for a quick drink. I had plans that evening so she gave me her phone number and I promised to call her the next night.

Next day I thought I would head over to Patpong to where she worked instead of calling her. I could not find her place (Bunny ####, don?t remember the exact name), so I asked around and a young man showed me the way (for a small fee of course). We walked a few blocks, then went up 4 or 5 stories in an elevator and was I ever shocked when the door opened. There was approx. 80 fine looking women sitting right there in front of me in a fishbowl. Took a step out of the elevator and within 5 seconds a lady came over and told me I need to leave. I told her I was looking for Ae and she said you must leave. Before I could get my next sentence out, she grabbed me by the arm and said sorry you must leave now and before I knew it, I was in the elevator on my way down to the street. WTF, damn was I pissed, :onfire: it was like I had friggin leprosy or something.

I'm sure most of you have already guessed I had made my way into a ?Japanese Only establishment? and because of the color of my skin or shape of my eyes (you choose) I was told to basically get the F%#k out even though my baht was the same color.

Now, I have never seen a Japanese person get kicked out of a falang dominated area. My question is ?why do we except this type of discrimination / racism against us?. Is it the fact that we can?t do anything about it so we just ignore it? Do we just take the ?This is Thailand? attitude? Any thoughts?

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is a joke post isn't it?

Did someone force you to go to Thailand? I thnk not?

Maybe the Japanese don't like large, sweaty farangswith little or no social etiquette being serviced by the same girls as they may be.

If I was running a private business I would fully reserve my right to refuse entry.

There are plenty of other places you can visit.

Hi,

"Maybe the Japanese don't like large, sweaty farangswith little or no social etiquette being serviced by the same girls as they may be."

Since when has social etiquette been a deciding factor on whether or not one can fuck a prostitute?

Futhermore, it is not just 'large, sweaty farangs' which are turned down, but *all* non-Japanese, and *all* Japanese are allowed, including the large, sweaty ones with little or no social etiquette. That makes this point rather mute don't you think?

Sanuk!

Vxxx,

Did someone force you to go to Thailand? I thnk not?

??????? and your point is?

Maybe the Japanese don't like large, sweaty farangswith little or no social etiquette being serviced by the same girls as they may be.

For fuck's sake are you saying? That customers have any say regarding who should and should not be allowed to enter?

Is it now OK for American businesses to refuse entry to Muslims because their customers may not have a liking for them or vice versa?

Portuguese and Spaniards aren't exactly best friends...should they refuse entry for one another? Or the Dutch and Germans? Greeks and Turks?

There are plenty of other places you can visit.

Refreshing suggestion.

Yep, same same here, we have a shitty beach restaurant where the thai lady owner only wants "high class" farangs she can charge whatever she likes for a steak with mayo and belgian fries.

Now the only "high class" hotel here is the Cabana, a two star place. Good luck to her, her restaurant is customerless every night, and I am not forced to eat there.

Good post and a good question.

>>Is it the fact that we can?t do anything about it so we just ignore it? Do we just take the ?This is Thailand? attitude?<<

Yes.

Farang in asia expecting racial equality are not being realistic. The freedom of a business owner to choose their customers is not taken lightly as in the west. Its one of the many reasons I view thailand as far closer to pure capitalism.

Hope someone knowledgable comes along and explains how the japanese established a small fiefdom in thailand, that is the impression i get of the situation.

I?ve traveled quite a bit in Japan and have always found their ?sanuk? scene to be somewhat off limits to Westerners. You can find places that WILL let you in but generally those are few & far between? Regardless of how much Yen you?re packing. It?s just the Japanese way, part of their culture? Shocking and quite annoying to us Westerners but very much the norm for the Japanese (and those who cater to them in LoS).

In LoS I?ve run across the Japan only establishments (area) a few times and was actually allowed in on 2 occasions? The first time I had a good friend with me, a Japanese American, and he was our ticket in. The second time our hotel driver hooked our travel group up. When I saw the Japan only MP I ask whether or not they?d allow our group in, he said no problem? We just strolled right in, guess they needed the business :) On both occasion I found the girls to be very civil & a joy to talk to ?They all spoke English very well? The Japanese patrons didn?t seem too enthused by our presence but didn?t cause any trouble. Our travel bunch is made up of a good group of guys & we really do watch our action. We had no problems during either experience and were fortunate enough NOT to pay the higher prices often charged to Japanese punters. One thing is for sure though? I didn?t think there was anything special about the place? The girls were like any other girls I?ve seen during my visits, maybe just a few more light skin girls than what I?m use to (a favorite trait throughout Asia it seems). You really didn?t miss much but I do understand the frustrations of being singled out & denied access.

Is it wrong??? In my eye?s it certainly is and you have every right to feel jilted but none of us have any real say in the matter, I know I don?t. I?m not Thai, I don?t own the establishment, and I don?t make the rules. The Thais are going to do what ever it takes to survive & make money. If they?ve targeted the Japanese and based their venue on what the Japanese punters like, well they?re gonna do whatever it takes to keep those folks happy. Maybe as the Japanese economy weakens further & their overseas travel thins out, those clubs that were so exclusive will either fold or open their doors to the lot of us. Hard to say what the future holds.

Nakbin

I?m in no way an expert in this area but IMHO the Japanese association with Thailand really took off during the early years of WW2. I know the Thai Air Force operated IJA aircraft for years during & immediately after the period and believe the military in general was supported and advised by the Japanese during the same time frame (Thailand apparently declared war ?unofficially? with the US & UK in 1941, reluctantly aligning itself with Japan). I?m guessing the support structure needed to back all the Japanese troops in Thailand during that time probably continued after the end of hostilities and has remained a part of Thailand to this day (obviously not in a military way). That small but important aspect of Japanese culture in Thailand has grown with Thailand?s quest for modernizations & also as the Japanese economy has strengthened during the post war years.

Purely a guess & my 2 cents? Maybe someone can shed more light on the matter.

Nakbin

Archived