Why do we tolerate this?

stonepony

lazyphil said:

Who wants to drink with a load of Japanese men?....quite a boring experience I would think.

i have occasionally drunken with a "load" of Japanese as i have with Thais, Chinese, Taiwanese, Koreans; it can be as much fun or as much boring as with Americans, Brits, Germans etc.! it depends on the persons and yourself!

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply
torrenova said:As for Thai men being refused entry. Yes, it is true about the undercover cop thing and particularly the boyfriend thing but the main reason is that westerners do not like to see the Thai men in the same establishments. They feel threatened and will therefore go elsewhere. We cannot allow that in business.

feel threatened of thai men in a bar? this you have to explain a bit more. sure i would not have fun as only westerner in a Suttisarn bar among a group of 30 unknown drunken thais, who are in groups there. but so do i feel when i am alone with groups of heavily drunken westerners rowing in a bar. but single or small groups of well behaving thai men?

a couple of bars in SC must be "thaifriendly" as i see there often some thais hanging around (without farangs and neither undercover cops nor pimps; just ordinary guests looking for some fun)!

Hey, I don't even like there to be any other men in a bar I'm in. Does this make me sexist? :angel:

One theory is that the Japs could be wary of us 'stretching' the girls too much for them (of course, this also applies to the rest of you after I've had my way::). Another is simply that they're racist bastards. ;) Third is that they're incredibly insular and afraid of what they don't know. The problem here is that few of them speak English and not many of us speak decent Japanese and while it's like that things are going to stay the same. I'd probably go with this one as I've met quite a few decent Japs courtesy of an ex in the Rainbow bars.

A fourth theory is exclusivity. A few old guys pay for the perceived privilege of getting together in a illusory men's club, chatting amongst themselves with 'cleaner' girls. If they want to kid themselves about this, then up to them, I say.

There are some reasons for "Japanese only" Bars in BKK and most have been already mentioned. Inside and outside Japan many Japanese *seem* to prefer to stay within a closed group of fellow Japanese for several reasons:

- It is well known all over the world that Japanese are mostly not well traveled *outside* a complete Japanese (like Hawaii for example) environment. Japanese are known of lacking communicating skills and are really bad in English. In order not to embarrass themselves or more important not to embarrass other people they tend to stay within a Japanese only environment.

- Japanese are known that they don't discuss prices and they are used to extremely high prices. Often they are even overcharged by their own travel agencies not to speak about restaurants, hotels, shops all over the world who always overcharge Japanese. Therefore it is no wonder that (Thai) bars are specializing in Japanese customers. White Farang would destroy this business practice obviously.

- Even Japan is my favorite country it is known that many (of course not all) Japanese are racists/xenophobic who fear bad influences (HIV e.g..) from outside. This is one reason that over 90% of Japanese brothels, MPs. e.g.. are off limit for foreigners. Allowing Farang/Gaijin to enter could mean a decline of local (Japanese) customers.

Disclaimer: My comments on Japanese do not apply to all Japanese and might contain stupid stereotypes.

Just to clear something up from my original post. My anger was originally directed to the business because the lady would not let me talk to the girl I came to see. This anger lasted about 10 minutes, way to many other fine women in LOS to stay upset.

I have absolutely no problem with the owners of these businesses, they are setting up a business model that works for them and makes them money, and I cannot blame them for that. I would have never gone into this place if I had known before hand that this was a ?Japanese Only? place.

But this experience did get me thinking. Why is it that these Japanese men think they need there own gig and for the most part don?t want to interact with the rest of us? :dunno: I?m sure I am going to get criticized for this but my feeling is that they don?t think their shit stinks and they think they are better than the rest of us. That may be generalizing the whole issue, but that is mostly how I feel.

So when I asked the question ?Why do we tolerate this?? it was not directed towards the owners for creating these establishments, it was directed towards our Japanese bothers who think they are to good for the rest of us.

Hi stonepony.

From what I understand, many of the girl's there, cater to that segment of the sanuk scene. Most have learned the language, altered their appearance to attract, and specialize in that market. Not unlike Rainbow 11. Just like some girls cater to the Thai market, and others. There is a set of girl's that cater to different markets in LOS.

And there are many bars that resist other clientele. Soi Thaniya caters to the Japanese. Soi 3 caters to the middle east. Soi 33 caters to the well-heeled farang. And many other examples.

It's just the way it works, there. Discrimination is rampant, with no laws to say it should work otherwise. You are in a world where it's an accepted practice, so either learn to live with it, or don't participate.

What you don't understand is that you cannot go looking for a girl on Soi Thaniya, without meeting resistance. No bar is going to welcome you into their bar with welcome arms, while their paid girl (prositutute) is inside, making them money, with intended clientel, that they have set up for her. Same reason a falang bar with Thai dancers, will be apprehensive about letting in a Thai guy, looking for a particular girl.

That cannot lead to anything good for the bar. The illusion is based on all the girl's there, being available, and only wanting to be with you, the punter. Start letting in boyfriends, and that illusion is instantly gone, no matter what your intentions might be.

You are seen as someone distrupting the pairing of a punter with a prostitute, which is what it is all about. What are you going to do? Walk in, and walk up to her, while she is stringing along a high paying customer, to ask her why she didn't call you after last night? ::

From a Thai bar business owners point of view, I wouldn't let you in either. Because business in the world of prostitution, is what it's all about. It's a business. You are not going to go in there, and drop 10,000 baht, so why let you in? The only possible scenerio is that you will disrupt operations.

You have to look at it from their side. Is it right? Fuck no!. But you're not running the show, are you? What is right and fair, and what is reality, are two very different animals.

She is working, and the bar owns her, while she is there. In their minds, they have total control of her, and can say what she does, or doesn't do, to make them money. You are an annoyance, to be gotten rid of, as soon as possible.

Get it? :D

HT

Archived