Why do we tolerate this?

stonepony

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi,

"The bars in the falang ghettoes which perhaps you patronize pretty much exclude unaccompanied Thais."

There are actually some reasonable reasons for this. The owners fear that the Thai may be an undercover cop, or that he may be related to one of the girls (boyfriend) and could cause problems in the bar. It is not a racial thing.

Sanuk!

But KS dont you think "reasonable reasons" have already been provided for the jap exclusivity....

Also respectfully ..it is still racial to exclude Thais however you rationalize it..very few Thais are under-cover cops, very few ethnicities are excessively well-hung etc.....just tarring one racial group with the perceived characteristic of a few of its members...

why bother and complain?

do you complain if a bar is closed to public for a private party and they don't let you in?

if it is a member club and they don't you let in?

it's the freedom of the business owner to choose his customers as it is your freedom to choose the bar you are going...

i am not at all interested to get in one of those expensive japanese only bars; there is plenty of others for any taste and budget.

nakbin said:

I?ve traveled quite a bit in Japan and have always found their ?sanuk? scene to be somewhat off limits to Westerners.

Nakbin

When I was in Japan I found its not just the Sanuk scene but even many "regular" bars and clubs have signs (or guards) in front saying no Gaijin allowed.

One thing I thought was interesting in Japan was seeing many people of Korean ancestry that I worked with while there, who live/were born there yet they are still "oustiders" among the Japanese people.

Like Stonepony I don't like it either being excluded based on race. One time the taxi dropped me off in Soi Thaniya by mistake and as I walked thru it was like I was invisible or something (it was pretty dead slow there too at the time).

LOS of course aint "Civil Rights city", take a look at the want ads in the Bangkok Post for example, they actually specify who they want to apply for certain jobs by saying "Female, age 20-25", or "Male, age 25-35 only", etc.

khunsanuk said:

Hi,

"The bars in the falang ghettoes which perhaps you patronize pretty much exclude unaccompanied Thais."

There are actually some reasonable reasons for this. The owners fear that the Thai may be an undercover cop, or that he may be related to one of the girls (boyfriend) and could cause problems in the bar. It is not a racial thing.

- Oh, really? Is this the result of a tireless interview session with the +200 bar owners/managers? Come on, they will not let thai males in many places w/o being accompanied by a farang.

Sanuk!

Hi,

"But KS dont you think "reasonable reasons" have already been provided for the jap exclusivity...."

Okay, let's hear 'em then.

"Also respectfully ..it is still racial to exclude Thais however you rationalize it.."

No, not really. As it is almost never a problem for a Thai to enter if he is with a farang. The same is more often than not not the case with Japanese only bars.

Sanuk!

Hi,

Why? It shows the owner that the Thai guy is much less likely to be an undercover cop or boyfriend of one of the girls.

And why doesn't the company of a Japanese guy automatically ensure entrance to a Japanese-only place?

If the same rules were applied it should become an automatic entrance as well, right? But of course we all know that more often than not, this is not the case.

Sanuk!

Archived