Where to get document notarized for less than $50?

I need to get yet another document notarized and am really tired of paying $50 EACH at the American embassy. I know they want to make money but that's just plain robbery. Anybody know any notary publics in Bangkok?

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Its all a matter of who you need to notarize it for? Its not like you can choose here. If you have an American document which the Thai authoritites need to have a legal stamp to approve, you can't avoid doing it at your embassy.

The other way - if you have a Thai document you have to do it at Thai notary.

Sorry, but I think your question is rather stupid!!!

I don't think the question is stupid.

The key though is as you stated, what is it needed for. I don't think many people realize that you don't have to go to the embassy for everything.

I haven't bought a car, but I think many people use a notarized letter from the Consulate as proof of residency, but this isn't necessary. Other documents can be used.

<<burp>>

I used the little law office under the over pass (Suk Soi Zero) to notorise Taiwanese documents once to start a BOI company.

Only people who could translate into Thai from Chinese, and notorise it in a day (I was here for a day only)

Total cost was less than $30US I remember.

Recently I needed the reverse, to get a passport for the daughter, embassy wanted a thai notorised document in English of her thai birth certificate,

That cost 500 baht! Little place in Silom between French and Aussie embassies

For a place that looks like a dum and a joke, it is actually a not bad operation.

DOG

I still think the question is not stupid. Saying it is stupid seems pretty obnoxious.

"I don't think the notary function is something which you can shop around for" This is a stupid statement. (CBK: How do you feel?)

Notaries in the States charge different prices. Some states have regulations on what can be charged, but then Notaries will offer "additional" services to up the fee. What prevents that happening here? Thais may also have a system of Notary Publics. If they do, I'm sure they charge differently than their US counterparts.

<<burp>>

OK Gummigut, maybe I am wrong? Seems you say "may" though. You are referring to a country which has many states, and is quite different from Thailand. Maybe its cheaper to get it notarized in Utah than California?

I'll bet that a country which hasn't even had a free currency for many years, doesn't allow back street shops notarizing documents. Prove me wrong please... And I am talking about fees directly from the notary, not about some office who send a messenger boy to do it.

The notary function is essential, a backbone in society when it comes to legal stuff. I can't even comprehend how the US have placed that in hand of private companies, if thats what you mean...

Archived