Where to get document notarized for less than $50?

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply
check_bin_krap said:

The notary function is essential, a backbone in society when it comes to legal stuff. I can't even comprehend how the US have placed that in hand of private companies, if thats what you mean...

Well maybe in your homeland ............. but not so most places I've been. All the notary is doing is certifying that "to the best of his knowledge" the infomation you have presented is original. And witnessing your signature and oath to the same.

Hardly a cornerstone of the legal system.

In the US and Canada, all bank managers are notary publics, and often provide this service at minimal or no fee to their customers. Many accountants, CPAs and others have this designation, as do many Lawyers. In fact any reputable professional can apply to be a Notary Public.

No doubt in my mind that Thailand has a similar situation or do all Thais have to go to a gov't office to get something Notarized. While certain legalities may require a document to be notarized at a specific venue i.e. the residence one done at your embassy, I doubt most require you go to your embassy for such a simple and common occurance.

Interesting Laohui. There is 2 levels of stamps you can get on documents here in Norway, it all depends on what you will use it for. A librarian can do the lowest level (like copies for job applications etc), but it won't do if you need it abroad. If its for use in another country, you have to get it from a proper notary - courts have that function, foreign affairs and embassies.

It simply won't do to get a stamp from a librarian to present a document to another country... I am talking Norway here, don't know about the US.

When it comes to transelations, its very strict. Each district has a list of government approved ones, and they can only verify a transelation from anyone on that list. So if you choose one located in another district, you have to go there to get it approved..

To get back to the OP issue, do you think he can drag up an US bank manager in BKK to get his stamps? I wouldn't bet on that being approved in Thailand, but I dunno.

LaoHuLi said:

All the notary is doing is certifying that "to the best of his knowledge" the infomation you have presented is original. And witnessing your signature and oath to the same.

This is basically correct, as opposed to some of the other posts here which were rather, umm, "stupid". However it is true that sometimes you do need a notarization from an embassy because of the weight it carries. But other than government involved or extremely important documents, the notary stamp is basically what you say here, they are just a witness to your signature on something and presumably have checked your id etc. In this particular case its for another biz, they just want a witness to my sig on an application. When you live overseas and are often dealing with people long distance, needing simple documents notarized isn't uncommon, at least it hasnt been for me. In the states hundreds of thousands of people are notaries, all you need is a stamp. At most banks they do it for free and i think places like kinkos charge one dollar or so. In any event $50 is outrageous for something that takes 30 seconds to do. Anyway my guess is that considering how many expats there are here in BKK, there could be several guys here who might just have their notary stamps with them, but who knows?

I would suggest a quick call to one of the board sponsors ...... Sunbelt Asia. I'm sure their legal department can send you in the right direction,or handle it for you, but I do not know their costs etc. but most likely quite resonable.

dwc77 said:

I need to get yet another document notarized and am really tired of paying $50 EACH at the American embassy. I know they want to make money but that's just plain robbery...

In the interest or accurate complaining, the fee was lowered to US$30 (US$ 20 for additional documents) several years ago:

Consular Officers perform notary services customarily provided by Notaries Public in the U.S.

TH

CBK - I think USA is not the only country to allow notory outside the government. I understand it to be a function of certain Lawyers and Justice of Peace in Australia (Artview may know better as I no longer live there)

In Thailand I am sure notory is down on site, not at a office, the translation and notroiation was down in less than an hour! I am sure the paper never left the building, yet was suggested by the Aussie Embassy!

DOG

I think USA is not the only country to allow notory outside the government.

In fact, I would even think that's the main rule.

In the country I reside, which is also Scandinavian, the government issue permits to private parties to act as notary public (this is often an attorney, which guarantees it'll never be cheap to get a stamp & copy....

Does Thailand even have this concept (Notary Public)?

For most informal uses, they just sign a photocopy of the document.

For more formal requirements, I have used the "Paiyan" witness concept with two witnesses being required to sign the document.

But I don't know or have never heard of a formalized concept like a Notary Public.

Cheers!

actually Thailand does not know the system of "notary public".

so all you can do here are steps towards looking the documents a bit more official.

i had twice get approved for official positions in companies of my employer's (2 different) in Asia (other than Thailand). one time they accepted the documents signed and stamped by my homeland's embassy. the other time this was not accepted and i had to go with the papers to the embassy of the country where the company was located. in another case, documents signed by by a local law company were sufficient.

so it always depends, what the receiver accepts; therefore i would ask the receiver and propose him 2-3 solutions, preferrably cheap ones!

Archived