Where to get document notarized for less than $50?

It's really funny, as an American we are accused of having an arrogant attitude (not without justification in many cases) but you are exhibiting that same trait.

As stated previously, notarization is just witnessing documents are signed by the person in question (that the notary has seen proof of the person's identity). No comment with regards to the contents of the document, accuracy of the document or anything else.

"I can't even comprehend how the US have placed that in hand of private companies,"

First, in the US it's NOT placed into the hands of private companies. A company can't be notarized. Any person can though (if they haven't been convicted blah blah blah) if they pass the requirements.

So the question is, how does this weaken society or a legal system if it's placed in the hands of individuals who have passed requirements?

As for how Notary Publics work in the US, it is state regulated. Thus each state has it's own requirements to become a Notary. Some states have regulated the fees that a Notary can charge. Some states don't. When you become a Notary, you're good for 4 or 5 years at a time. So I don't think it's very hard to keep up after you become one. I don't think there is anything preventing a Notary from witnessing signing documents here in Thailand.

<<burp>>

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah Gummigut, I admit to coming out too strong here. I have been mixing issues, I simply haven't been involved in stuff where witness sign is enough. Some documents actually require legalization from Thai foreign affairs before they can be approved in my country.

Its all a matter of what you need the stamp for.

"arrogant" CBK :D

In Virginia, the notary stamp says that you have identified yourself to be you to the satisfaction of the notary.

They have nothing to do with the accuracy of what you signed, only noting that it is indeed you who signed it.

Mostly free in Virginia. My bank does it for free, as does my attorney and several notaries that I know.

I am appalled at the $30 for the first sig and $20 for each additional at the American consulate. Being Federal soil, I tried to find out if there is a Federal regulation for max notary fees, but couldn't find anything.

Pisses the shit out of me.

Think I'll look into what is required in Virginia to become a notary.

As some posters have stated, in the USA a notarty is merely witnessing the signing of a document and verifying that the person who signs is who they say they are.

A notary in the USA is not saying anything whatsoever with respect to the information that the document contains.

Grabii

LaoHuLi said:
check_bin_krap said:

The notary function is essential, a backbone in society when it comes to legal stuff. I can't even comprehend how the US have placed that in hand of private companies, if thats what you mean...

Well maybe in your homeland ............. but not so most places I've been. All the notary is doing is certifying that "to the best of his knowledge" the infomation you have presented is original. And witnessing your signature and oath to the same.

suadum,

"I am a notary and I will bring back my stamp and seal."

You maintain a residence in the USA and are appointed as a notary in your state of residence? I've been wondering how an ex-pat could maintain an appointment over time if they are residing overseas rather than in the USA, but maybe it's not difficult?

"B800 for the first page and B500 additionals."

Under-cutting the US consulate, but not by much - a true entrepreneur!

Yodrak

gummigut,

Inquire of Bill White

White & White Ltd.

U.S. Immigration Consultancy

New ITF Tower, 17th Floor, #3

140/36 Silom Road, Bangrak

Bangkok 10500, Thailand

Telephone 66 (0) 2231-6466

If he's a notary, maybe you can get him and suadum into a bidding war.

Yodrak

gummigut said:

Okay, here's a question.

Anyone know a US Notary who resides in BKK who has his/her stamp?

Seems almost worthwhile to go back to the states for a few weeks and charge 500 baht for Notary services, hehe.

<<burp>>

Archived