Where to get document notarized for less than $50?

We (Mrs SD & I) are a property owners in two States (MI & NV) and have a mailing addy (my accountant) that I use for things like that.

But in NV at least, one can be a notary and non-resident.

Pricing? If I know you from the board, just buy me a black so' or three. I'm easy.

Cheers,

SD

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Straycat said:

I think USA is not the only country to allow notory outside the government.

In fact, I would even think that's the main rule.

In the country I reside, which is also Scandinavian, the government issue permits to private parties to act as notary public (this is often an attorney, which guarantees it'll never be cheap to get a stamp & copy....

Different from Norway, this is a quote from juridical site in Norway (transelation done by me, picked from www.domstol.no)

"Notary affairs is done by district courts - and city courts in Oslo, Bergen and Stavanger. The head of police in districts can also do this, but thats limitted to comfirmation of signatures and issuing certificate of "existence" (used for getting social benefits from Norway while living abroad).

Apart from that, the Norwegian foreign affairs and embassies abroad can do the notary function."

Seems Sweden and Norway have different rules here.

This is off topic (as it was US notary function in OP post). But is also background for my reply earlier, and vs. your statement "main rule".

A witness signature can be given on contracts in Norway by anyone, depending upon the issue it might need to be confirmed by notary. A contract for buying a house doesn't need any notary at all. A confirmation of a correct copy can be done by a public librarian (if used for purposes like a job application), but its not a notary confirmation and therefore can't be used abroad in offical purposes. An example of a notary function here, is confirming that a transelated marriage certificate is in offcial registers, and is legal. It is a backbone here, it confirms vs. registerers which is on record already by government, or will by after its confirmed if necessary.

Thailand rules? Dunno. Apart from the fact that Nor authotities demands stamps of authority from Thai foreign affairs to approve certain documents.

It's not that weird really. Especially, if it's just basic "check & confirm", which it is for the most part... (and not all functions performed by a Norwegian notary can be done by a Swedish notary; legalization of certain documents still have to be done by the government/embassies)

And, yeah, giving legal work to lawyers...that sounds like a bad idea : :angel:

Could not be bothered with reading the thread to find out if y9u question has been answered or not. However there is the ministry of foreign affairs who will put a legal stamp on documents tranlated from Thai to English and visa versa. Total cost is about 400 baht. I used there services to legalise my mariage under Thai and British law.

Straycat, if you need a stamp on a document its to give it some authority. Even if its just making a copy legal. Can you always get hold of the lawyer to check if that stamp is right? With a governmental institution you can check it up.

Its better to leave that task to a governmental institution. Also, they mostly don't go broke if you need to sue for fraud. I would trust a public library sign. on a copy more that a lawyers ones. I would however add that I don't have any experience in countries where you can get Johnny-who-ever with a license, giving stamps and how it works.

There are legal aspects as to who pays when fraud is involved which I don't know. If government covers it, fine. I will bet it doesn't carry any weight with other nations involved, and is just outsourcing within a country.

Hmmm. I think you should get used to that there are different ways to the same thing. One way is not always better than the other.

In our part of the World, Scandinavia, there really is an exaggerated belief in that the Government can do everything the best. Personally, I would think any "Johnny-Who-Ever" probably work as a civil servant and isn't bending backwards to make sure you get the very best service there is...

Compensation from the government? Yeah, right. Try to solve that without a lawyer in case the government refuses. ;)

And as a last point, responsible lawyers -- and especially solicitors/advocats, since they're most likely required to do so -- carry insurances that compensates in cases of negligence...(besides, it's bad for business to do a sloppy job)

2 issues. 1st one: Where can I verify the authorication. Easy to track a governmental office. Easy to call - more difficult to fake anything for people who want to check up.

2nd issue, its there anyone to be held accountable? A lawyer is questionable, as I wrote he can be gone tomorrow. Insurance? Do you mean that the stamp should be accompanied by an insurance certificate :: If the lawyers needs that to operate, maybe that lawyer was taken away the license 1 month before I get the paper with the stamp on?

I don't believe that all should be done by government, far from it. I do believe that they need to verify some essential stuff if its gonna be worth anything more than a toy stamp.

Not exactly a toy stamp, but a Notary in the US is only witnessing the signing. In order to become a Notary you have to pass an exam and not be convicted of any crime in the past.

I'm sure the States in the US keep lists of Notary's which you can verify.

This function is rudimentary, and I think that's why the original poster is irked cause the Embassy charges far an above the service they provide (leastwise in my opinion in this case).

<<burp>>

Archived