Other Countries have Candidates Like These Guys!%?

zanemay

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Man at Work said:

Zane May

1. I loved that "Brits,....,...., Europeans! :-)

The American way of foreign wisdom. The Brits are Europeans, even if they do not act like it!

2. Just have a look at Germany! We have more clowns here than America will ever have. Disgusting!

MaW

1. My point exactly! See, I'm too stupid to vote anyway.

2. Yes, looking at the politicians on DW TV when I'm in Thailand (that is when I can tear myself away from Cricket #&%!!) the politicians really seem to suck. So hell-bent on having their party in power.

ZM

khunsanuk said:

Hi,

Guys, I thought you all knew the rule on no politics?

Don't make me close this.

Sanuk!

It may not seem like it, but I wasn't trying to have a political thread - you know, hotly supporting some point of view.

And most responses have been in the same spirit. It has been more of an international discussion of comparative government and sociology. A right lively, respectful and educational exchange too!

Sorry if it seemed to push the limits.

Sanuk to you too!

Zane :cover: :cover: :cover:

BB,

What is the penalty for not voting? what about infirmed or elderly who cannot get out? also, was unaware that we had 2 weeks to vote...

"...On top of that, you have about 2 weeks to go and vote, here its always on a sunday, from 8 AM till 2 PM, results are known from 4-5 PM on, all is counted by midnight. 1 day..."

Not sure what you are saying, though I did see mention that voting had started in some places...shows what I know...

OH,

Yes, heavy financial fines for no-shows.

Lots of excempts possible as you have 6-8 weeks to ask your boss, doctor, etc to excempt you.

Sick, eldery and others give proxy to their children, etc.... all easy to obtain.

Earlier in june, I voted 3 times, for myself, then for both my parents as well, long day......

As for time of vote, maybe not clear, I was comparing to the US, where voting already started in Florida and Texas (?) as well. "You" in the US have 2 weeks, "we" in Belgium do it in 1 day.

BB

BelgianBoy said:

OH,

As for time of vote, maybe not clear, I was comparing to the US, where voting already started in Florida and Texas (?) as well. "You" in the US have 2 weeks, "we" in Belgium do it in 1 day.

BB

This is new this year. Always done in 1 day before and is still 1 day almost everywhere. I only knew about it in Florida - they now call it a "voting season." A far better way to do it. One problem - it must be more expensive to keep polling places open for weeks. Of course they only open a few places for the whole time. Don't really know how expensive it is to do it over several weeks. I'm sure we'll have reports after the fact.

I would certainly like some input from Brits, Aussies, Germans and everyone informing us how voting is done in their countries.

ZM

ZM,

More info from Belgium : here, all between 30 and 50 years old can be "asked" to man a voting station or to go to a counting station, not fun as basically unpaid to do a civil duty.....

Also, voting is done in public places, mostly schools.

If its done over 2 weeks time, where is it done, and who is manning the voting stations in Florida then ?

BB

Archived