Hmong man opens fire in USA, 6 dead

MaiLuk

flyonzewall said:

anyhow, i personally don't really see much pleasure in killing animals for fun. i love my occasional deer though.

I don't like the actual shooting of the animal. I took me a while to keep from pulling my shots (shooting over them). I could hit a beer can at 200 meters but I was missing the caribou at 100 meters. I love preparing and eating wild game. So I had get over my difficulty shooting the animal. Now I can shoot them in the neck or head and "drop them like a sack of potatoes." I take pride in how little meat damage I do.

Often once my freezer is full I'll just go along with some friends and help them harvest caribou. I noted many of them will just leave the head in the field not harvesting the tongue. The tongue is the tastiest part of a caribou. A friend taught me the siberian reindeer herders trick for removing a tongue. Out in less than 60 seconds! You don't want piss me off if I have knife in my hand! That is the only thing I really miss here in thailand.

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

>>>I fully understand your sentiment on conservation but how the hell does one assertain the population of a given species of animal in a vast swathe of northwoods forests, pretty hard I would say, yes rangers and wot not do surveys but its wilderness area. <<<

it's sounds hard, but there are ways to do at least some more or less accurate guestimates. some animals have certain patterns of migration, others clearly marked territories, particular feeding grounds, etc.

but to do that one needs proper training, and has to spend lots of time in the woods. that is why hunting is serious business. according to the collected data of the populations every year the quotas are fixed.

>>>How does LOS compare with standards of animal conservation with the USA,<<<

thailand is a natural catastrophy zone, as one biologist once explained me. about 90% of it's forest cover has been destroyed over the last 30 years, and not replaced. countless plants and animals are extinct. hunting is the smallest problem in thailand.

there is no comparism between thailand and the US.

>>>I am wary of legislating 'opinions' and 'feelings' as it takes away someones right to do something. Unless an overwhelming and compelling argument can be made to restrict someone from doing something, then I say let them.<<<

in most areas one cannot ban hunting, it would be complete idiocy. it would lead to the opposite. as bushpilot pointed out - natural predators such as wolves, bears, pumas have been extincts or severely diminished. man has to take over that role to keep nature in balance.

but hunting has to be legislated, to keep things from getting worse.

>>>Maybe not and it may not be a personal choice of some or even most. Should it be outlawed? At least for hunting purposes. That seems to be the suggestion. Other than a preference not to use it, why shouldn't a person NOT be able to if it is their desire to do so? <<<

because it is not only a lack of ethics, but shows complete disregard to any established standards, and complete lack of knowledge. there is a certain reason why certain rifles are made for certain purposes.

if one cannot do a kill with a single carefully placed shot, does not know how to properly stalk an animal, has not the coolness and experience to wait until he can place that shot - he has nothing to do in those woods.

every animal has different places on its body to kill it with one shot. and different ammunition has to be used. lets say you use a shotgun for a bear - you are not only giving unnecessary pain to the animal, you also endanger yourself and fellow humans. wounded animals are the most dangerous.

wild boar for example is nearly impossible to kill frontally as its head has a very thick plate of bone. a semiautomatic rifle would not help much, but knowing where to place that shot, and which rifle and ammo you use.

and you don't want to be attacked by a wounded wild boar. lots of inexperienced hunters have been wounded or killed that way.

hunting in today's overpopulated world is far more about preserving nature than anything else. to restrict the "freedom" to hunt means that the next generation still has the freedom to enjoy nature. and that is ultimately the most important freedom.

if you want to have a look how completely destroyed nature looks like i would advise you to travel to kalimantan on borneo - moonscapes, continuously raging forest fires, severe draught, and the most brutal ethnic wars imaginable over depleted resources.

very sobering.

>>>Now I can shoot them in the neck or head and "drop them like a sack of potatoes." I take pride in how little meat damage I do.<<<

when i was a kid i accompanied hunters countless times. it was of utmost importance to them to kill fast with one single shot. not nice to follow a wounded animal through the bush to finish it.

many times they have let the prey go if they did not have clear enough sight to do place that one single shot accurately, and waited for another day.

and yes, i do love the taste of wild game, but it's a rare treat for me nowadays.

if you want to have a look how completely destroyed nature looks like i would advise you to travel to kalimantan on borneo - moonscapes, continuously raging forest fires, severe draught, and the most brutal ethnic wars imaginable over depleted resources.

very sobering.

Sobering indeed. I haven't been following this whole thread, but that situation makes this incident in Wisconsin look trivial, by comparison. And I wasn't aware that depleted resources was a catalyst, but I admit I haven't really been following that situation either. Makes sense, though. Very sad. :(

in some way it was depleted recources. the immigrasi program (sponsored once by the worldbank :doah: ) enabled immigration from outsiders, i think mainly from ambon, to kalimantan.

that left the dajaks, the original inhabitants with not much. they often only got the worst land, and ethnic tensions have risen over the years. the immigrants also got a bit of a rough deal, 5 years the land they got was producing good, but the humus in former rainforests is very thin, and depleted fast.

so, yes, in the end it was about resources.

Guest lazyphil

I think using a semi automatic is responsible hunting, not very nobel perhaps....when I go fishing on fen drains I use nothing less than 6lb breaking strain line, for pike 20lb, die hards say I'm not pitting my wits against the fish, I say I want to land the fish and not have it 'snap me up' (break the line) and leave a big hook in the fishes mouth with line and floats attached to the animal, use a single shot gun is noble like using thin line but a unclean hit on a leg etc means you waste time reloading while the deer gets away injured....a semi gives you a chance to down the creature.

On the subject of fox hunting, its getting banned early next year here....big trouble coming, these hunters will still hunt, police will be sent to enforce bad...big boxing coming....land owners are talking of stopping MOD using land, stopping electric companys maintaining pylons on their land, no more muck spreading for water treatment companys...I didn't know my wheat was fertilized by my own turds ::

Hi!

not necessarily. i do know for a fact that some owners of wood do give hunting rights away just for getting the occasional deer.

That doersn't seem to be a very good deal considering that many Germans are prepared to pay big money for a weeks hunting in Swedne.

regards

ALHOLK

Hi!

I have a friend in southern Sweden that has a rather large hunting ground. He spends all his free time during the hunting season in the woods. Be assured that he can give you a pretty accurate figure of the number of big game such as moose, deer, wild boar etc. He also knows the exact location of every fox and badger den. He may not know the exact number of smaller game like rabbits but he can still give a good estimate of if the population is rising or falling so don't underestimate the hunters understanding of the ecology of their hunting grounds.

regards

ALHOLK

Archived