Falangs Who Can Not 'Function' In The West Anymore

Steve

I have a friend who is living in SE Asia. He's fairly well off so he can afford to live in the area. Spends a lot of his time in LOS. He's been there full time for over a year now. When he left he said he would be back 'once in a while' but I knew better. I told him eventually he'd only come back for 'weddings and funerals' and for those it would depend on who it is.

After a while he stopped coming for those and the only time his family (mother and siblings) heard from him was via e mail. Maybe a phone call from him on Christmas or Thanksgiving or Mom's birthday but e mails the rest of the time. Anyway, he got word his mom was having some health problems so he decided to come back for our Thanksgiving holiday here.

He flew in Monday, Thanksgiving is Thursday, he went to see his mom on Tuesday and left Wednesday. Mom is healthier than what was reported. He thinks it was a ruse of sorts to get him to visit the states. While here he said he couldn't stand it after one day.

The morning rush hour traffic depressed him. He complained of the 'rat race'. Of everyone working hard for nothing. He was depressed after just one day and told his family he was leaving early. He couldn't even stay for Thanksgiving holiday. He told me he can no longer 'function' in the states. I don't think I'll see him until I visit him in Asia. I am almost positive that this is his last trip to America for quite some time. Maybe if his mom is sickly he'll visit. But it will take something of great importance.

I just wondered if there are others on here who feel like that? Or those in the west who are planning to leave permanently and think you will be like my friend. You're biting at the bit to leave falangland and only return when 'necessary'?

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i am one of 'em, somehow.

never been able to really function in the west, left when i was 20. never had a career there.

i have always tried to spend every year at least a few weeks there, not to lose contact. but it's getting difficult. relatives die off (recently far too many), and one day there will be nobody to see there anymore other than business contacts.

not really that nice, especially with the insecure situation we have to live under here. but there is not much i can do about.

but as long as it lasts, i do phone at least once a week my dad.

I plan on moving to Los next year,i can't wait,things that used to not bother me at all,really piss me off here in UK.

I always ask every ex pat i meet in Thailand if they have any regrets about moving to Thailand,as yet i have not met one,and the standard answer is, they regret not moving to Thailand sooner.

A good friend went back to UK for a family wedding,he took his Thai wife and was due to stay three weeks,he changed his plans after three days in Uk,and left the day after the wedding,staying a total of 6 days.

I think the only thing i shall miss is the live football,i have been going to Highbury for so long.

I have a cousin that moved to the Phillipines ten years ago, after leaving the priesthood (Maryknolls) and moved to Chiang Rai about a year ago. He's been back twice in the last six years and made the rounds three years ago, saying his goodbyes to older relatives, like my dad. He comes from a large family but his parents died 2 and 4 years ago, so I don't see him coming back except for the occasional weding, as he comes from a family of eight. If I did move to Thailand, it won't be for at least another 10 years, putting me at sixty. My ideal retirement would be six months in Thailland, four months in Ireland and two months back home in the USA. I have three brothers and three sisters and am close to all of them and as my father is 88 (but has the constitution of a 50 year old) and in good health, I wouldn't leave while he is still alive. Besides, I do like my work but wouldn't mind trying to supplement it by importing Thai good for re-sale. If I met the right women over in Thailand, I could probably change my plans.

Prvided I could come up with a way to produce a marginal income I would be there tomorrow. I have friends and family here but I also know that I feel so much better, physicaly and emotionaly in LOS that it would be a no brainer. Pretty much from my first trip I have not been able to readjust to the US. I love my country and would like to come back on a regualr basis but after about 3 months I simply go nuts.

I am aware of how content I should be to live in a free country, where anyone who works hard can have a good lifestyle within 5 year of arrival.

However I am also accutely aware of how MONOCHROME ones existence is here in the sterile west.

When you are closer to death and adventure I think humans become more aware and apprecaitive. Sure life is cheap in asia, but more fun.

STH

Archived