Falangs Who Can Not 'Function' In The West Anymore

Steve

Asia in general is what I miss as <donning Nomex suit> I feel that in the most important ways, most countries where I spend my time (Thailand, Malaysia, Sillypore, Taiwan, HK/China, Japan, Indonesia) are pretty much the same. I am speaking of the overall; in the impression of more personal freedoms, happier citizens, nicer lifestyle. Money is not the issue -- I have a skillset and mentality that I can make plenty wherever I settle. It is as Cent & UAL875 said. And I'll add that I feel that I have very little in common with my fellow countrymen (including my best friends); that I really do not belong there (especially after the most recent election and the reasons given for the outcome).

Cheers,

SD

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Fly,

I don't disagree with your comments of working long hours, seasonal work, making ends meet, etc.

What i am saying is i don't believe thais have this obsessive desire, not need, to work where it becomes all emcompassing even though financially they don't have to...

My observations are thais fall into the camp "work to live" and not "live to work" which i believe at least in america (can't speak for other western countries) has taken over our culture. I am not saying it is a good thing but actually has created negative effects along with the positive ones where one has "a working mentality" society above and beyond meeting needs..

Therefore one does not look at blue collar populations and the working poor as they all work out of need, but rather white collar segment where financial needs are met but people develop/inherit/engrained where the principle of work becomes their focus and direction in their lifves; a life that becomes quickly out of balance...

When combined with productivity push, thus the expression of "killing themselves at work". Numerous studies indicate the correlation between work stress and various medical adverse efects (heart disease, heart attacks, strokes, etc) where there really shouldn't be the need for it. Yet this buy-in of a strong work ethic that drives people to their graves is really unnecessary (based on meeting one reasonable material,security/financial needs)...

I have not seen it yet in thai white collar population; maybe it will develop as they become more "westernized" in their thinking. But this is something they should not adopt and this thais sub-population do a better job of having more "balance" in their lives when their incomes increase,,,,

Cardinalblue

>>>My observations are thais fall into the camp "work to live" and not "live to work" which i believe at least in america (can't speak for other western countries) has taken over our culture. <<<

that is a bit far away for me. ;)

i definately belong into the camp of "live to work", but for me my work is pure pleasure mostly, and i rarely overwork myself. and if, then i have long stretches to rest.

i have serious difficulties to understand how anyone can "live to work" in a job that is not completely fulfilling.

here in the thai white collar population there are those stress symptoms as well. i remember the numerous studies done on the commuting stress here. not as bad anymore as it was during the hight of the 90's boom. but in those days you had many whose daily average commute was 6 to 8 hours (!).

also, many white collars also hold two jobs to pay for their through credit acquired status symbols, such as the necessary houses and cars, and TV sets, and, and, and. keeping up with the jones is rather important here in thailand's middle class mu ban suburbia.

Archived