Falangs Who Can Not 'Function' In The West Anymore

Steve

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

BB,

Haha! You're on the list! (How good are you?) I like playing those that are my level or higher. I like the challenge. It's a great game and I find so far no Thais who can play the game. I'll be starting a new venture in the LOS within the next year. I plan to start a shop in the vilage making handcrafted wooden, stone and tile or semi-precious stone inlayed chessboards and pieces for sale, upper market stuff, not the crap stuff they sell there for the tourists for 1,600 baht that are nothing but junk and broken in a week or so which look like shit and not worth 200 baht, let alone 1,600. I mean solid woods of a heavy density, (I've found some nice dense black wood that'll do well, and also a red wood and some yellow woods that'l be workable.) nicely laid out boards with brass hinges and foam and silk interiors to hold the pieces. I'm talking chess sets that will last a lifetime, portable, yet high quality. All done by a few hand picked villagers in my village house where I have a decent shop room to set up a workshop to do this. Within a few months I should have a few demo/proto-type sets to show around and get orders. These will be of heirloom quality for the true chess lover, and the pieces will be done in a Thai style of Thai historical figures for the figurines/pieces.

Cent

Cent,

I'm good enough :p

You'll have to test me..... or will I have to test ya ?

I learned when I was 5 yo, I have beaten the very first computer chess games, but have not really played competitively since the last 15 years or so....

I play lots of bridge though.

The day I will not be able to function in the west anymore, I'll move to LOS and we'll play lotsa games in the shadow under a tree, at least that sound like a good plan.

For the moment though I have the best part of Thailand right here with me at home :up:

BB

BB,

Yes, this sounds like a good plan! :: You are lucky now to have your lovely lady there in farangland with you. Best of luck with that. I will be doing this soon myself, not to stay in farangland though, but to show her the country, introduce her to my farang family and let them get to know her, do some shopping and traveling around the states and other farang areas, and of course to get her a visa/passport from the west to make visiting easier. I will not be staying in the states much more than just for visiting family and friends. Mostly doing it for expediency and legal crap for when I am gone myself so the financial stuff will be easier to do when I am dead and gone. Thailand is my true home now and where I want to be, and I know my wife will be happier there amongst her own people, culture and foods and such. Plus I love it there myself. I'll be buying a home later in Florida for us to use on our stays in the states. I hate the snow and cold and winter and I think we'l do better there during our stays rather than in New England. As much for myself as for her as well. (Probably the Tampa Bay area or Fort Myers area. Sanibel Island/Captiva/some of the island areas, maybe even the Keys or Marathon.)

Later BB. Enjoy life. It's all too short, as I've seen myself recently with my Dad's passing.

Cent

Have fun with your lady, and show her the good things we farang have to offer. And find a nice wat and a couple decent Thai places to eat there! She'll need that.

Guest lazyphil

My mothers Gt Maiden Aunt was a nurse in Malaya in the old empire days....she loved Asia and could not settle in England on her return after donkeys years there, wasn't so easy then to go too and fro ::

Cent said:

Is it dysfunctional to not want to be a lemming? Is it wrong to feel the land of the free has been perverted into something strange and uninviting, something cold and bleak, a world of jackbooted munchkins forever snapping at your heels while waving their crucifixes in your face?

Who is it that truly isn't able to function here? Us? Or them? :D

Cent

:applause::up::bow::beer:

Archived