Falangs Who Can Not 'Function' In The West Anymore

Steve

>>>So is the land of smiles, mai bpen rai, thai time, prostitution, padlocking their factory exits, and sanook now is the land of a strong work ethic? I sure don't see it and the environment does not demonstrate it domestically or internationally. They sure don't get it from their poor educational system so not sure where they would pick it up from?<<<

they pick it up from necessity.

thailand beyond the "land of smiles" is a place where it is not easy to make ends meet for the average person.

traditionally in village thailand there were always very clear workethics. just different than the ones we are used to in modern industrialised society. people there worked seasonal four months of the year backbreaking work from before sunrise to late into the night. the rest of the year was occasional work such as logging, hunting etc.

>>>Hell, when i was trying to find out informational about occupational medicine and stress

related work illnesses, their answer was "what the hell is that?" <<<

just because the medical establishment does not really care about that yet does not mean that this does not exist. have you asked with the unions? i am very sure that they can give you a very comprehensive list. they can also give you great information on all labour related issues.

you can also ask the ILO, which has its regional headquarters here.

>>>So when i was leaving the american express office as the only customer at that time today about 10am, i counted 11 workers staring aimlessly into space or chit chatting with their co-workers.<<<

now, those are hardly the average of the thai labour force.

if you want to have a look how the average joe in thailand lives and survives, have a look inside the many factories in samut prakan, bang na, chonburi, samut sakhorn, samut songkram etc.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

CS,

I can understand this myself. But it's not because I cannot function there in the states/west. I don't think I am dysfunctional. I think I choose NOT to put up with all the bullshit, petty, fascist, religious fanaticism and over regulation of my private life. Once you taste a bit of the freedom from a lot of this shit that seems to be smothering western man it is hard to knuckle under again and live the rigid structure that the west has become.

Asia has more flexibility for a guy. The costs are less, the women are friendlier, the laws are less rigid or at least easier to pervert in your favor, :: the weather is sunny and warm (SEA anyway, fuck Korea and most of China!) most days, and the people are, at least on the outside, much more pleasant to deal with and be around. Western man has become a miserable whining bitch for the most part, always complaining, nearly always angry and belligerent, the cops are too many and the laws they enforce too absurd, too expensive for the offense, too rigid and insanely brought into being by mindless beauracrats that want to regulateevery goddamned thing we do. My biggest complaint is the influence the west has on the east. Hitler may be dead, and the third reich may have lost its bid for world domination, but big brother and the little religious fanatical nazi-ism has exploded and taken over the world, the western world, which has inflamed the middle easterners and fuels that fanatics willing to die on their side of it all. The world is now steeped in fear, and in that fear willing to give up many of the rights we used to take for granted. The west has nothing to offer a free man but a larger paycheck, a cleaner street, drinkable bathing waters and a social safety net that keeps getting smaller and smaller and takes longer and longer to be able to even use, at least in the states. I don't think many guys can't function in the west. I think they choose not to because the western world has lost its way due to too many people wanting to run everyones lives for them, while peeping in their bedroom window, sliding their hand in our wallets by charging more goddamned taxes than the fucking Brits ever did before the revolution, "sin taxes" they even call them, and telling us as a free people what they think is right for us all to do, and then saying if we don't listen to them we'll all go to hell, or jail. The thought police are here.

Is it dysfunctional to not want to be a lemming? Is it wrong to feel the land of the free has been perverted into something strange and uninviting, something cold and bleak, a world of jackbooted munchkins forever snapping at your heels while waving their crucifixes in your face?

Who is it that truly isn't able to function here? Us? Or them? :D

Cent

Wow, Cent. Thanks for that. It just about sums it up for me. After three months back in the States, I am more than ready to get back to my normal life in Asia!

And despite what some may think, that feeling has very little to do with shagging whores!

Cheers,

SD

Nice work Cent. :up:

I moved to Japan in 2001. I am asked many questions but the one I do not have an easy answer for is ?When are you going to move back to the States??. I simply do not know. If I were forced to leave Japan I hope my next stop would be somewhere in Asia ? particularly China. It?s not that I dislike the West, it?s just so many little things add up to make Asia a better place for me in almost every aspect. And, quite frankly, I am more attracted to Asian women and their outlook on life. These days I am more comfortable being a ?visitor? to my home country. In a weird twist, I enjoy showing Westerners the sites and lifestyle of Asia more than I do showing Asian friends what the States have to offer. I don?t know what that means just a random thought I find interesting.

Regarding your friend CS ? to an extent I understand where he is coming from but he sounds a bit extreme. Different folks adjust in different ways, reading through this thread confirms that. But it seems like a lot of guys who responded here fall into the category that they like residing in Asia but make the most of their ability to have a connection with the West, enjoying the positives their former homelands have to offer. Particularly when visiting. I know that is how I view my situation.

SD,

"Wow, Cent. Thanks for that. It just about sums it up for me."

I do feel a lot of guys feel like this. Those of us that are a bit more adventurous, or have the financial means, retired, single and having a wanderlust or need to travel and see other places and meet other peoples, whatever it is, strike out on our own into the world. We see something that draws us, a more personal freedom in SEA, at least for we farang, if not the general native population. We do get away with a bit more in Thailand I think just because we are farang. Rather than us being in the basement and the

"garbage" as Oldasiahand's friend expressed I see the guys who pick up and move as being like the old west mountain men, the gold rush crew, the forest pioneers who valued their freedom and privacy, the wagon trains of those looking for a better land, a better way, some adventure, something different, ... personal freedom. Yeah, there's some scum and deadwood that come along, but most farang I've met in the LOS have been decent sorts, except the out and out alcoholics and lao khao drunks, of even them can be interesting sorts, albeit troubled. There but for the grace of God .... and all that. We expats and visitors have our damaged and deranged that give us a bad name.

"After three months back in the States, I am more than ready to get back to my normal life in Asia!"

Hope you get back soon. Three months is my absolute limit! 1 month I can handle, two months and I get extremely cranky, three months and I am abasket case! :-) I am back here now. My father passed away Wednesday. I don't know howlong I'll be here. I assume I'll stay until my Mother is not needing me anymore and able to get by alone with my sisters help. This could be one month or two. I can function here, and there are many things that will always bring me back here. There are good people here, and family and friends. I just don't want to live here anymore. It's like the old saying, "It's a nice place to visit, but I wouldn't want to live there." If I HAD to stay here forever I know I could funtion well and make plenty of the material things so many seem to desire, but I wouldn't be happy. I'd always long to be on that long fucking flight back to Thailand.

"And despite what some may think, that feeling has very little to do with shagging whores!"

I agree. I am married. I don't stray, even though I easily could and not have much problems doing so. So that is not the draw, the attraction, the pull. It's that smell when first off the plane, I think it's some wondrous addictive drug sprayed in the airs, the heat in the face as you step onto the tarmac off that last step, that nightime breeze and the whipering palms and the ghosts of asia that flit through the evening air. It's living in the tropics, and I do love the people. It's hard to describe. For some it's the bar scene and easy pussy, (and more power to 'em! No hypocrite here me. I indulged and see no problem in doing so. I'm a bit sick of some of the reformed punters here at times being such fucking hypocrites about it all.) for others it becomes much more than that, much much more.

"Cheers,

SD"

Same here Suadum. Hope you get back soon and we can sit and chat over a beer or coffee. Three months is a long time. I prefer only shortimes now in the states. ::

Cent

Hi Cent,

"Thanks for your views on this...."

Thanks for replying.I have some time the next few days to post a bit, and have a new laptop with wireless set-up which makes it pretty damned easy to get on line anywhere. A sleepless night right now, and the laptop on wireless mode laying in bed typing away until the sandman brings his sleep dust around again and sends me off to the dreamworld.

"Sure I could function in the West, but I don't NEED to and I don't WANT to. (amongst the reasons you mention)"

EXACTLY my point. We CAN, but don't want to anymore. We tire of the ratrace. WE CHOOSE not to. It's not that we can't, hell most here HAVE DONE well over the years in the west.It's why they can afford to do so now,some retiring earlier in life than most, using the money change differences to fuel their escape, others just go for the adventure and fuck the future, live for today as the old Animals song said. You never know when your time will come. Live a little. Enjoy it while you can. Eat, drink and be merry, for tomorrow you may die. Some people are wat too anal to live this life in this way way though. Preferring to save for their old age and retirement, only to take those savings and monies and pay the hospitals and doctors and nurses and nursing homes and old age home theiving cunts and leaving nothing to their children anyway. Live for today.

"Flush the toilet"

Hahahaha! Yep.Love this tag! ::

Thalenoi, see you next time we can run into each other where ever in the LOS. Stop up in Surin, and give me a buzz when in country. Do you play chess by the way? I'm looking for a few good chess players who want to get together for a few hours of playing once a month somewhere quiet and intereting with good coffees and some eye candy fro the occassional distraction. Once my daughter graduates high school she'll be going to university in Bangkok a couple/few years and the wife and I, and Sis as well will be moving to Bangkok to watch over my girl while she's in Uni. We'll open a shop and restaurant in BKK and get a decent house for the duration. I'd be interested in getting some names now of residents who'd like to set up a chess club and maybe a book club as well. I'm also interestd in the museums and research facilities these and the universities might provide scholars interested in Thai history. Anyone know of any place to get the older stuff as translated in English to study on? She, the daughter is 12 now,so we have a few more years, but it would be nice to get some names and info ahead of time before we move down,also the same info can be used during occassional trips to BKK right now,the info and the chess partners as well. :) I'm also interested in anthropology, archeology and any local ancient stories, tales and myths that have been translated into English.

Cent

Archived