Falangs Who Can Not 'Function' In The West Anymore

Steve

vegasdave49 said: Pretty much from my first trip I have not been able to readjust to the US. I love my country and would like to come back on a regualr basis but after about 3 months I simply go nuts.

Pretty much sums it up for me as well. As we post, I'm scheming now to make the re-location to Thailand come the New Year holiday. "Going Asiatic" seemed to sweep me up from the very first- the rest was/is/will be just a matter of timing.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've lived with my parents in S E Asia for many times when I was 9 onwards, Europe from when I was 1 onwards.

So I was used to travelling, however after a 3 week holiday touring sunshine and North NSW coast, I'd be happy to lve there again if I could get a job or start a business that is as good as what I have here now.

Australia lacks opportunity, whereas SE Asia doesnt for the sector I am in.

DarDum and the Baby would live in Brisvegas tomorrow if they could, they loved it,

So there you go, I could go to the west tomorrow

Definately leaving Bangkok as soon as I can, but plan to stay in the region

DOG

I have lived in Thailand for decades, but I have no problems to speak of in the States. Hasn't the guy heard of "adaptable"? And just where does he live? Does he think there is no rat race in Bangkok? Maybe he is in a small village in Isaan or somewhere ...

Now do I completely fit in in the west? Maybe not ... since I don't care much for American politics, don't like much of GB II's foreign policy (but detested Kerry as a wanker), don't think the USA is necessarily God's greatest gift to humanity etc. But fleeing the country after one day? This guy has mental problems.

Back in my Peace Corps days we used to say of Thailand that "after the first year, the rose coloured glasses came off". There are a lot of things wrong with Thailand, not to mention Vietnam, Cambodia, Malaysia etc. Nowhere on this planet is perfect.

I had bigger problems coming home after Vietnam, but that was a war and I had the close comradeship of my buddies, plus the friendship of numerous Vietnamese. I was leaving a lovely girlfriend and trying to figure out how to get back to her before her bitch mother succeeded in her efforts to force her into an arranged marriage. I didn't and was torn up for years about it. :-(

Coming back to the US from VN service was more like landing on another planet. Nobody knew what you had been doing ... or really gave a damn. People were indifferent, while the average VN War protestor didn't really give a fruitcake about the Vietnamese people or anyone else. They just did not want the war to interfere with their own shagging, pot smoking, loafing around etc. They were just as opposed to "alternative service" (in hospitals, VISTA, Peace Corps etc) as they were serving in the military. Returning from the VN War made a lot of vets feel disgusted with their own countrymen. But I don't see how living in SE Asia nowadays would.

The guy is living in a world of make believe or simply too damned self centred to do anything except what he wants. And notice he has only lived in SE Asia for ONE YEAR. Does he speak the language? Does he actually do anything here? One day he may wake up and smell the coffee ...

I've lived in SEA for about 10 years and only visit the US once a year, at Christmas.

I go stir crazy when I'm there even though I'm there for only a short time.

One of the things that makes me uncomfortable is that my politics and view of the world are so very different from all of my relatives. I feel like I'm from a different planet.

The only good things about being there is visiting my parents, who are getting old, and getting some logistics in order, such as bank accounts, etc. Oh yes... one more thing... it is so quiet at night and easy to get to sleep....

I dread having to live there but it will probably happen sometime.

Hi,

Guess I would not have much problems living back in the West again. While I am not actively looking for a life there, if things fuck up here (for whatever reason), I doubt I would have a hard time readjusting to life back home.

Quite enjoy my trips there as well. Rather nice to see the family, eat loads of things I can't get here, show my wife some of the history / sights, etc.

Sanuk!

>>>I always ask every ex pat i meet in Thailand if they have any regrets about moving to Thailand,as yet i have not met one,and the standard answer is, they regret not moving to Thailand sooner.<<<

well, many have failed building a life here. many are gone, and others still keep hanging on, having nowhere to go. but it is human nature to lie even to themselves.

i'll be honest here. sometimes, when i am depressed i question myself if i should have done things different. but then, i do not believe in having regrets, and given all consideration i still believe that i have made the right choice. i enjoy my life here tremendously, do things i could have never done if i would have stayed back in the west.

i am not blind to reality though. the life i have chosen has a serious flipside. i might very well sit there when i am 40 or 50 and have nowhere to go as well. losing contact over the years is the nature of the beast, and you will never have the same security as you enjoy in your homecountry.

as flash has mentioned, the place here is not paradise, it is a developing nation with all it's shortcomings, and sooner or later you will have to come to terms with them, they will affect your personal life at least to some degree. and it is only up to your abilities to adapt and be flexible to compromise with them.

how do you keep yourself busy? living here the holiday feel gets stale soon, and when you don't have something else to do other than hanging out in a bar, mindrot sets in very soon.

I was like your buddy the first couple of years after traveling to LOS, questioned my existence and value of my life in America, then sanity prevailed. The more i got ingrained with Thai relationships and spending more time in the country the less I really looked at it as paradise. I just appreciated it for what it was and let go of the fantasy of an idyllic life with a Thai woman in BKK, Phuket or upcountry. I realized that if I lived there the country had nothing to offer me at my young age and all it would do nothing but cripple and stifle my development as a peson.

I also realized that there was no way in hell that I could replicate my income In LOS aside from getting lucky in a private business or marrying into a wealthy family. The fact is that my income allows me travel there 4-6 times a year and even a few months at a time in between jobs. As a matter of fact I am at the airport in NRT right now writing this post.

The fact that country has convoluted property laws, limited opportunities and IMO a not so inviting environment to foreigners looking to make a living there makes it a complete turn off, unless I was looking to "retire".

I took a hard look at my life and realized that I had invested too much into my education, career and relationships to toss it all away to live in LOS, maybe your friend should do the same.

Guys need to realize that if your going to make a life in a place it has to be for more than easy access to chicks. Pussy is available the world over.

Archived