Naam Som

I took me several weeks before I could order OJ at the Beer Bar and be understood.

Naam Som is the word. Except in compound words, the word naam is pronounced differently; the vowel is shortened considerably. This would apply to words like naam khaeng, naam plaao, etc. The tone is high.

The other part of the trick is the tone in som. It's a falling tone, but many farang (including myself) tend to pronounce it as mid- or high tone. It has to start much higher than 'aa' in naam and fall rapidly as it's a short vowel.

One more note on the topic. If you ask for Naam Som you may get Fanta, Green Sapot, or other orange flavored soft drink. If you want the fresh squeezed orange juice, you should ask for Naam Som Khan.

The complete sentence would be, Koo, naam som khan gaew neung, krap.

HI,

"Of course if you really bollcks up the tones when saying nam som, you could get vinegar!"

Actually, I believe the word for vinegar is identical. Same tones.

One of my friends got a good laugh (unintentionally) out of all within earshot when asking for orange juice some years ago. He very politely asked "Khoo naam suam noi khrap", i.e. "Can I please have a glass of toilet water?".

Sanuk!

I'm crap at thai(never really tried to learn any), but almost always got my preferred fresh orange juice in the bars(if available - otherwise the juice/soda variant) by simply saying 'nam som' or occasionally adding krap ;)

However seeing this 'khan' added to emphasize 'fresh' I think this can easily be confused with 'phan' for 'frost' no?

For frosties I prefer mango though - absolutely lovely, but rarely available except in well stocked thai restaurants!

Pom Michael said:

Yes, Vinegar and Orange juice. Maybe the spelling is different (doubt it) but the pronouciation is the same.

Both pronunciation AND spelling are the same. It's all in the context.

orandanodes said:

indeed but "som" has two meanings, namely "orange" and "sour". It's the latter that refers to vinegar

I see. Then, what's the difference between som and priaw+?

One could indeed say that som and priaw are syn. when the meaning is sour. Both priaw and som have other meanings as well and are not syn. on those other meanings.

The full word for vinegar by the way is nam son sai chu.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived