Thai Tital wave in Phuket

Hi falang,

>>>>"Tidal wave toll: 35 dead, 355 injured"<<<

Probably just confirmed dead and injured. It's going to go a lot higher before the days, and weeks are over.

What a tragedy? I would think entire families were lost to this. We are going to hear many sad stories from all of this, in the days to come. :(

HT

• Replies 348
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Casualty toll reaches 84 dead, 400 wounded so far after tsunamis hit southern Thailand

Published on Dec 26 , 2004

BANGKOK, Dec 26 (AFP) - At least 84 people were killed and more than 400 wounded Sunday in southern Thailand after a series of tsunamis caused by a massive earthquake off Indonesia struck the kingdom, officials said.

"There are now 35 people who have died on Phuket, both foreign tourists and Thais, and 355 injured," an official in the governor's office of the popular resort island told AFP.

A police officer said at least six of the dead were foreigners who drowned on Karon beach on Phuket's west coast.

The death toll was likely to rise with several officials reporting over Thai radio and television that beachgoers and villagers had gone missing.

Police said 31 people had died in nearby Krabi on Thailand's southern mainland, at least 11 were killed on the small tourist island of Phi Phi, and seven fishermen died in Satun province bordering Malaysia.

A maritime police officer who asked not to be named said the casualties in Phi Phi could be far higher as the huge tidal wave decimated much of the development on the small island.

"Everything was washed away except two large hotels on Phi Phi Don island," the officer said after speaking with a Phi Phi resident by telephone.

Reuters reports that more than 100 tourists on diving holidays are missing on islands off southern Thailand following Sunday's tsunamis, about 70 of them in the famed Emeral Cave, a tourist official said.

"We don't know whether they are dead or alive," the official told Reuters from the southern city of Trang.

The Emeral Cave, which contains a tiny white sand beach and water turned emerald by sunshine through a hole in the top, is a major attraction for divers who have to swim underwater to get into it.

The Nation

The quake hit here about 8.00am, the waves at he beaches hit at about 9.30 two bigs ones first then every five minutes more keep coming in for 30 minutes or so, the waves came over a few hundred meters from the shore inland, I was at the beach near Nai Narn and saw all the bungalows going in the sea with people being washed to sea as well, there must be many more missing and dead than the news reports right now, my office has been a rescue center all day as we are right near the harbour, some of my staff have been injured and they told me the hosptitals have been overloaded with hundreds being treated there, many boats have been lost,

So far I have lost one whole dive shop and all the gear at Racha island, one office gone at Karon beach, I believe the death toll will many many hundreds from what i can see here,

Archived