Thai Tital wave in Phuket

• Replies 348
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A sad day for all those that were in the areas affected by the quake, and RIP to all those that lost thier lives due to its effects.

Lets just hope that the rescuers remain vigilent and focused and that they may be able to save the lives of others that may still be trapped or lost.

Good luck to all those that are helping.

I experienced this on the South Eastern tip of Java at the famous surf camp called G- Land some 15 years ago. Huge tidal wave came up in the middle of the night and wiped out the entire camp...people clinging to trees to keep from getting swept inland-Lots of broken limbs-no none died but this is far.I was in the furthest inland hut on the jonny doing my business Got blasted 150 yardrs thorugh the jungle -cut to hell and back but nothing serious-This is far worse...God Bless...

In the low-lying Maldives, President Maumoon Abdul Gayoom was to declare a national disaster in the archipelago whose coral atolls are a magnet for tourists from around the world, said chief government spokesman Ahmed Shaheed.

"The damage is considerable," Shaheed said. "The island is only about three feet (one meter) above sea level and a wave of water four feet high swept over us."

Figures not looking good. 3500 dead in Sri Lanka, etc.

Looks like 5-6000 dead and the figure might reach 8-10,000.

The next 10 days should tell if this is the last of it or just the beginning.

>>>>" shoulda been here yesterday"...<<<

seems to be the story of me life, nicely summed up. ::

been once in an earthquake in turkey, landlocked, fortunately was in the almost only earthquake safe house in the area. and more or less the only one still standing after. scared the living daylights out of me.

Thai TV says it appears 500 people dead in Phuket area. They do not know figure is accurate because of some confusion.

Thai TV did show a Thai man picking up a big fish he 'caught' laying on the ground.

Many pictures of dead people.

Thailand afraid falangs will not come back to Phuket. A disaster for the tourist industry.

In the over all region - looks like over 6000 dead. We should know more by the end of tomorrow.

Just hope there are no more after shooks!

Archived