Thai Tital wave in Phuket

• Replies 348
  • Created
  • Last Reply

New article from the Nation:

Tsunami death toll hits 160 dead, 1,900 injured

Published on Dec 26 , 2004

PHUKET, Thailand (AP) _ Nearly 160 people were killed and more than 1,900 injured, with scores missing in southern Thai resorts after a major earthquake hit Southeast Asia on Sunday, causing tidal waves and flooding, a government disaster centre said.

The Narenthorn Center of the Public Health Ministry centre reported that some people had been swept out to sea from a Phuket beach by tidal waves. About 10,000 tourists were trapped on higher ground, while others were stuck at sea in boats.

It wasn't clear how the 158 died, said the centre's Surawee Yamklin.

Some of the dead were local workers and at least four tourists died. The victims were in Trang, Songkhla, Phuket, Krabi, Ranong, Phang Nga, Satun and Surat Thani provinces, which draw thousands of visitors each year because of their world-famous beaches.

Five- to 10-metre (16 to 33 feet) high waves crashed onto beaches and roadways in Thailand following an 8.9-magnitude earthquake in Indonesia, hiting Asia's most popular resorts during the peak tourist season of the year.

``Suddenly this huge wave came, rushing down the beach, destroying everything in its wake,'' said Simon Clark, a 29-year-old photographer from London who vacationing on Koh Ngai island near Krabi with his girlfriend, Caroline Barton, 25, also of London. ``People that were snorkeling were dragged along the coral and washed up on the beach, and people that were sunbathing got washed into the sea.''

In the midst of the Andaman Sea on Phi Phi island _ where ``The Beach'' starring Leonardo DiCaprio was filmed _ 200 bungalows at two resorts were swept out to sea, along with some of its staff and customers.

``I am afraid that there will be a high figure of foreigners missing in the sea and also my staff,'' said Chan Marongtaechar, owner of the PP Princess Resort and PP Charlie Beach Resort.

Chan, who was in Bangkok on Sunday, didn't have exact figures of missing or dead because the telephone network was disrupted, but he said 700 people could have been on the beach when the tsunami hit.

Watcharat Hospital in Phuket was full, with many foreigners coming from hotels on popular Kamala and Patong beaches, said a hospital official who declined to be named. At least 30 seriously injured people were being cared for at Phuket hospitals, Piphat said.

nicke was quick in taking the pics.

hr owns a bar in Soi Eric and i was really surprised at the damage in Soi Eric seeing that is quite a way from the Beach.

a friend owns a bar in Soi Eric also and i see from the pics there has been damage to his bar.

this news is terrible and my thoughts go to all the people in that area.

i pray that anyone i know is safe and well.......:up:

A very tragic event...

For those that need to locate friends or relatives that might have been affected by this event, these are useful contact telephone numbers.

Emergency Rescue Center at Tel: 076-214492 or 01-6432755. For calls from outside Thailand, the numbers are Tel: 66 76-214492 or Tel: 66 1 643 2755.

Local police stations may also be able to help. They can be reached by dialling 191 and asking for the district police station for the area concerned.

If calling from outside Thailand, the number for Phuket Provincial Police Headquarters is Tel: 66 76-212046. Phuket Tourist Police may be reached at Tel: 66 76-355015, if dialing from outside the Kingdom.

Archived