Thai Tital wave in Phuket

• Replies 348
  • Created
  • Last Reply
MightyMouse said:

This was an 8.9 earthquake.

There was plenty of evidence that something like this might happen. Last week's 8.1 off of Australia shouls have been a definite wake-up call.

Problem is, with such a large earthquake, there is no other data to go by as to what to expect next. And it is hard to predict where the next one is going to be, if there is going to be another one.

Seems impossible to predict earthquakes within any useful timeframe. A tidal wave warning system as exists in the Pacific could (and likely should, after this disaster) be put into place.

I finally could contact with friends in Ranong living directly on the beach. A very small tsunami, just an extra high tidal wave reached them 10 am and the effects were destroyed boats and some fishermen killed. Now they make precautions for what may happen the coming 24 hours.

Over 3000 confirmed dead from this earthquake.

Thailand news says 168 confirmed dead, over 1000 missing.

This disaster is worse then the World Trade Center incident of Sept. 11, 2001 as far as deaths are concerned.

The Pope is upset about the incident. I wonder how the rest of the world will react?

I don?t know what pictures are being broadcast around the world, but the pictures on Thai TV are pretty bloody harrowing. Coastal scenes and footage from at least one port show boats ON TOP OF EACH OTHER. A helicopter flying over Phiphi filmed what can only be described as a disaster zone. Businesses from various places in the south look ruined. One horrible shot showed a dinghy parked in the main room of a hotel. Just on the TV they showed a hospital in Krabi and what looked like hundreds of people outside. Email from a friend who lives in Patong Beach at Phuket said the beach road has been virtually destroyed.

Stick

Archived