Thai Tital wave in Phuket

• Replies 348
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Death toll at 2,200 across Asia and rising. Southern India seems to have been hit real hard.

Oddly enough, several colleagues of mine got out of Japan over Xmas/New Year cause of all the seismic activity here of late. Many went to Phuket/Krabi. Hope they're OK. They shouldn't have been at the beach at 8:00 am, but...

The power of earthquakes is phenomenal, like an angry giant shaking his hand with the tiny Earth in his palm.

Prayers to all the victims.

Right and watch Phi Phi> I remember looking at that years ago and thinking a tidal wave would go stright through the centre of the main Island.

And I am not sure about boats at sea. Most thia ferries etc look like they could not handle a serious seas/big wave.

Not a good year for Thialand!

Hi Ed,

That's at the moment an unknown number of people that were out there, live aboards at the Andaman islands and dive trips probably just embarking or getting ready for a days diving.

If he only got certified the other week, it's highly unlikely he's teaching, he may be doing Divemaster work though.

I've got friends in Kao Lak who I can't reach right now. No landline works.

This was an 8.9 earthquake.

There was plenty of evidence that something like this might happen. Last week's 8.1 off of Australia shouls have been a definite wake-up call.

Problem is, with such a large earthquake, there is no other data to go by as to what to expect next. And it is hard to predict where the next one is going to be, if there is going to be another one.

Archived