NEW Immigration Arrival/Departure CARDS

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I wouldn't worry about it. What are they going to do with the information? Sell the info to marketing companies for the high earners? Check up whether you actually do enrol at the hotel you say you will? Gonna need a lot more civil servants and cops to police it if for instance you transgress and didn't check into Khun Scrotes Guest Squat on KSR. I know a person who works in the passport office in UK. They've got a target of dealing with 200 applications within 3 hours. All they do is tick boxes to indicate whether photos and fees are included. I would imagine with the thousands passing through Don Muang every day it would be a logistical nightmare for even anyone to deal with even if they do use acres of computers.

Nervous_Dog said:I went back out and in again last week. Had the usual card??????
I am going out tomorrow, back Friday, so I'll let ya know. But my travel agent did not know anything about a new card. I asked after she gave me the same old one in the envelope with my ticket.

Cheers,

SD

BelgianBoy said:
MightyMouse said:

No, the amount is in US dollars.

Considering 90+ % of all visitors come from non-USD countries, I find this quite surprising........

BB

It isn't particularly customer friendly. I could do the conversion from USD to baht without that much trouble. Wouldn't want to do it into euros or whatever.

Yup. Me too. But I was quite sloppy in that I generally write big and my signature has flourishes (hey, I'm flambouyant, what can I say). I doubt that it could be scanned. No issue whatsoever at immigration. No issue with my writing in that style in Sillypore or Oz or any other place that uses scannable forms either. Either the technology is MUCH better than I suspect or they just do not really care.

But the salary question is quite cheeky. Given that all the questions on the back are demographics type questions, I suspect that TAT is responsible for those as a kind of survey. I know that the immigration officer did not look at it, at least in my case. I wonder if they even suspect that most western tourists find that question very private and insulting to answer. Farangman, any idea or is that out of your area of knowledge about TAT?

Cheers,

SD

"But the salary question is quite cheeky"

But...don't Thais talk about things like this all the time? For many Westerners, household income is a private matter, but it is my impression that this is a normal "Get to know you" type question that Thais may ask.

Still, I don't necessarily want the guy sitting next to me on the airplane to know what my household income is...

Yes, but the point is, as I said "I wonder if they even suspect that most western tourists find that question very private and insulting to answer." This is important since it IS being targeted at tourists. Thais do not have to answer.

Cheers,

SD

Archived