Adopting a Thai child & taking to Europe

Fidel

Hi,

My sister and brother in law are having no luck with pregnancies. In fact my sister has had several miscarriages.

They are devestated and would love to have kids but it looks like adoption is their only option.

In Ireland, the welfare state ensures that kids are not given up for adoption. Russia has closed down it's overseas adoptions for the moment.

How about Thailand? Is it difficult to adopt Thai kids and take them to Europe? How would one go about it? What steps are involved? What's the cost?

I know that to adopt a Russian child it costs about 30,000 Euro!!

Any info is much appreciated.

Thanks!

Hi Fidel,

My sister went through the motions and adopted a Thai boy for similar reasons.

It's a long process with a long waiting list and not cheap either. You'll have to proof a good income and one of the parents will have to stop working once the baby arrives.

It's easy to adopt boys, girls a lot more difficult.

If oyu have more specific questions, let me know.

Fidel,

I was adopted!! so hats off to anyone who does it also! My sister adopted 2 kids from Mexico about 10+ years back. There a a few problems they have experienced with cross cultural/inter racial adoption, depends on where you live of course and how you handle it. But over all, adoption is a good thing. In my sister's case, I think the cost was over $1oK USD at the time for everything, including the cost of going down to pick them up!

I have been through the Thai adoption process and there was no cost involved. Our case was a bit simpler as it involved my stepson, but still took the best part of a year. From memory the process was very similar for overseas adoption though it involved finding approved agent to carry out the home visits and interviews in the applicants' country.

I have scans of the application forms and lists of documents required but I don't think I still have the notes that went with them outlining the process.

In the U.S. its a costly procedure with hiring a company approved by the thai gov to do a home study. and if approved by everyone concerned, ( and spending all the time and money) you still can get turned down once you get to the bcis office in Bkk.

( been through it 2 times so far, one ok, one denied)

total "crap" IMHO

Archived