Farang on Suk Soi 19 on his last legs

MaiLuk

you cannot help someone who does not want to be helped,

This guy would probably rather be a drunk in BKK than in cold London !

If you gave him a plane ticket home would he go ?

I doubt it,

I also doubt that his visa is current if he is in that position,

which getshim in more problems.....

OC

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Maybe this guy is smarter than all of us, the hobos in the US made big Money more than a person in a real job sometime, a smart farang could say we give all our change to a Thais, so if people are giving me 100 Bhat a hit, for looking like a drunk this is better than working in Bangkok for 4,000 Bhat a Month. Think about it you only need 10 farang a day at 100 Bhat to give in money that is 1000 Bhat a day beats working Vat free. ::

HIGH THAIED said:

Hi,

>>>looks for opportunities for trade between the two countries, e) acts as a PR firm for their country,>>>

Well, if everything like this comes before the care of it's own citizens, then no wonder it's all fucked.

In order of importance, >>>>helps their citizens in difficulties, or in need of documentation<<< comes in as the very last protocal. ::

It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out there is something wrong with that picture. We can manage trade and PR from our own countries. It's the age of electronic information. Give me a break...What is the great need to be on the ground there, spending millions every year for an Embassy, while ignoring the simple needs of a few citizens in dire straights, located there?

I'm just not buying it. Sorry!

HT

I can confirm we had this Brit dying here last year. (too much booze and beer)

I contacted the family , they would not pay any hospital bills.

The gf contacted the embassy, they would contact the family, yeah, I did that already, no need for these fuckers...

The the guy was dying, we (two farangs here) got him hospitalised and the bill was 12k baht/day to keep the man alive. A few farangs wanted to collect money, but some hesitated, the hospital got rid of the man at day 5, who died one hour later.

Futher contacts with family and embassy were useless :cussing:

Big_Kahuna said:

Oh, Jesus, if embassies placed highest importance on assisting nationals "in distress," then every deadbeat drug addict on Khao San Road wiould be beating down their doors. Embassies are mainly for nation-to-nation relations, as it should be. I know some of the Brit Embassy staff, they've told me tales of those very same deadbeat Khao San Road denizens showing up demanding, not reuesting, but demanding as their right a free air ticket onward, etc. eyc. makes the bad stories of the ones who do need legitimate assistance being raked over the coals more undersatndable to me after hearing oabout the lowlifes they get. Shoot first and ask questions later sort of thing.

BTW: The concept of embassies came about during the Renaissance, during the days of Machiavelli. Not only were they considered handy for govt-govt relations, but they were considered ideal for spying on the host country, and that was probably their most important function in many cases.

Yeah sure,

I also have this story (first hand) of a farang getting of a long distance coach at 5 am and getting robbed. No money, no passport...The Britissh embassy told him to come back after 5 days to pick up his new passport after the required verifications and they threw him out withouth further assistance.

The man slept on Sanam Luang and got arrested by thai police. After not so-good-treatement he was brought to the officer in charge who got upset the british embassy did not take care of a british subject, got him some medical aid (he had a knife cut) and brought him back to the British embassy where he demanded assistance. Then the british embassy gave him some daily allowance and paid for a return ticket which he re-imbursed. Thanks to the Thai police :tophat:

thalenoi said:

I also have this story (first hand) of a farang getting of a long distance coach at 5 am and getting robbed. No money, no passport...The Britissh embassy told him to come back after 5 days to pick up his new passport after the required verifications and they threw him out withouth further assistance.

The man slept on Sanam Luang and got arrested by thai police. After not so-good-treatement he was brought to the officer in charge who got upset the british embassy did not take care of a british subject, got him some medical aid (he had a knife cut) and brought him back to the British embassy where he demanded assistance. Then the british embassy gave him some daily allowance and paid for a return ticket which he re-imbursed. Thanks to the Thai police :tophat:

Perhaps, the guy should have purchased travel insurance. Then, his insurance company would have sent him some money. Why didn't he contact a family member/friend back home and get them to transfer money to him through Western Union?

Perhaps, the guy should have purchased travel insurance. Then, his insurance company would have sent him some money. Why didn't he contact a family member/friend back home and get them to transfer money to him through Western Union?

BINGO! The people responsible for getting travellers out of a jam are travel insurance companies, not embassies. Of course it's up to the individual to take out the cover. All the Embassies/Travel Advice groups and travel agents HIGHLY recommend travel insurance. For good reason. There's the safety net.

If one doesn't choose to take the advice, or can't afford to get themselves out of a jam... tough shit.

elef said:

"Why didn't he contact a family member/friend back home and get them to transfer money to him through Western Union?"

Not possible without a passport.......

It is possible. If the sender advises Western Union that the receiver will be collecting money without ID, they can work out a test question/answer. The receiver just needs to write down the answer to the test question on the form and they can get their money.

If so you can inform Western Union because I once tried to send money to a person without an ID - no way

"9. How do I pick up a money transfer?

You may pick up your money transfer at any Agent location. You will need to complete a "To Receive Money" form with the following information: name, address, amount expected, as well as the sender's name, telephone number, city and state being sent from. Valid identification is also required. Some restrictions may apply.

10. What is considered valid identification to pick up a money transfer?"

Drivers License, State ID, current passport or tourist card, Government ID with photograph, or Alien ID is required.

Western Union FAQ

From the same FAQ you linked to:

"3. How does the Western Union Money Transfer service work from an Agent location?

<snip>

To pick up the money, the receiver completes a "To Receive Money" form at any Western Union Agent location and provides proper identification or answers a test question. The agent then pays the transfer amount to the receiver. "

You can see that it is possible to collect the money by answering a test question. If necessary show Western Union the Police Report which provides some form of documentary evidence that you have lost your passport. I know people who have collected money from Western Union in Thailand without ID before, so it is possible.

Archived