Farang on Suk Soi 19 on his last legs

MaiLuk

i also did lose the plot here once more than a decade ago, for a few very dark days, was 5 minutes before getting myself admitted. fortunately the missus was around to take care of me.

it's weird what games the mind can play on one occasionally.

don't forget as well - the tsumani has left a lot of shellshocked people. that singular event will keep therapists here and abroad busy for a long time, especially when the post traumatic stress disorder will set in with survivors and rescue personal.

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply
flyonzewall said:i am a bit surprised by the lack of simple compassion shown by many posters here. who cares if that bloke did it to himself, or if he is a drugaddict/alcoholic? the only thing that matters is that he obviously is a human in dire need of help.
While that is undeniably true, I know that I cannot save the world. A friend or even an acquaintance would get all the help he needed upon request or until he stated he wanted nothing. But there are too many out there to take care of everyone. ESPECIALLY those who do it to themselves. As you and I both know, this is one of those places in the world that collects that type of individual. I strongly believe in personal responsibility -- an adult makes choices and needs to live with the consequences not blame or depend upon others to bail them out (another reason I cannot live in the States).

That is why I stated before: there is no safety net when you travel overseas. Plan accordingly, even if that just means making some friends wherever you land.

Cheers,

SD

>>>I strongly believe in personal responsibility -- <<<

so do i, only that sometimes people reach a point where they simply are not responsible for their own actions anymore (mental problems, substance abuse, shock, grief, etc.).

nobody can safe the world, but sometimes just a hundred baht for a meal, or a simple enquiry if there is something wrong is already substancial help.

Difficult to decide sometimes when the need is genuine with so many scams and hard luck stories around. Even the good samaritan would have been hard pressed to sort out the fake beggars, self inflicted substance abuse 'victims' and those too tight to have taken out insurance, from those deserving of a bit of compassion. -peter

Hi,

I don't know where the beggers are coming from but I've seen them distributed by lorry in the early mornings in Pattaya. What I heard real beggers are removed by motorbike gangs and never seen again. So give money to the maffia via beggers is out of question. A 100 baht to a farang without money is a different thing.

elef

All,

So we have a thread here about one farang begging in BKK.

What happened to him ? his choice to beg or not ?

Mentally still aware enough to beg, so he must know he has other options, right ?

If it was really not his doing, he would have run to his embassy long ago.

Personally, I dont give a shit for those people, his responsibility.

Maybe hard, but thats how it is.

BB

>>>If it was really not his doing, he would have run to his embassy long ago.<<<

...and the same thing would have happened that happens to almost every destitute farang here who looks for help in the embassies: he would have been kicked out.

i brought once a mentally disturbed farang to the embassy only to be kicked out and having to negotiate with the police to send him to a mental hospital instead of prison.

i even had to telephone his parents after he was medicated and able to speak coherently. only then the embassy was forced to do something due to pressure of his parents.

that was only a few weeks after another bloke with mental problems was sent away from the same embassy, only to throw himself off a building, ended up paralysed.

or the famous case a decade ago where a brit was arrested in kaosarn rd. with injection needles. the british embassy did not bother to come down to see him even though called up, and the poor bloke died of diabetic shock in jail.

...or the bloke in the IDC (immigration detention centre) who handed me a letter asking someone from the embassy to visit him urgently. nobody came, and he had a heart attack in jail, was sent to hospital for two days, and back to the IDC. nobody of the embassy found it worthwhile to see him.

etc....

if you have a problem, then embassies are the last place one should go.

when i was destitute once i was lucky that it happened in a country with only a honorary consulat of my country, and i was given great help.

My wife has a simple solution,

If they have two good arms and two good legs, if they have children or are children NO MONEY!

IIf they are handicapped, then they get something.

her reasoning, which doesn;t take into account mental illness is that if they have two arms and legs, then they can get a job.

If they are children involved, NEVER give money as it's part of a evil scam that must be stoppedd

anyone else wh gets money it's because what ever she gives, it's alot less than what you;d have to pay us to do the same to ourselves.

DOG

What about those with the cute little puppy dogs mr Dog? I always feel more sorry for them than the humans.

Someone told me last year that there is an organisation, not sure if falang or thai, in Buri Ram to help out. This helps out falangs who have been cleaned out by lying TG's. The lady herself is from Buri Ram and swears this is true, I'll ask her more about it next time I see her, trouble is she's such a fibber it's sometimes hard to tell when she's telling the truth. She tells me she has a down on his luck writer who comes by her bar sometimes for the odd handout, wonder if it's the same fellow mentioned here?-peter

Archived