Farang on Suk Soi 19 on his last legs

MaiLuk

If he went into the Embassy and was in such a sorry state, and he wanted them to make contact with his family/friends, the Embassy would likely try to help make contact with family/frends.

However, if he is in such a sorry state, does he know who his family/friends are anymore? Does he even want help? Perhaps, he has borrowed money before and no one wants to help him anymore.

Point him in the direction of the British Embassy and then it is up to him.

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply
dinkas said:

If he went into the Embassy and was in such a sorry state, and he wanted them to make contact with his family/friends, the Embassy would likely try to help make contact with

the Embassy would appreciate to wait until cremation is over to save costs for repatriation :neener:

suadum said:
shygye said:The embassy will contact relatives/friends of the person. :doah:
Generally speaking, not until he is dead. They do not want to get involved. Do you blame them?

Regards,

SD

They do BEFORE he dies, NOT after.

Still have an unclaimed British corpse here.

The family did not want to pay the hospital bill and the British embassy did not want to inherit the body of the deceased...

Makes you wonder about the reason for their very existence. ::

Embassies are supposed to be there, to assist citizens of originating countries who travel there. What happened to that novel idea? It's a concept that seems to allude many.

I hope some heads rolled over the reception the US Embassy in Bangkok greeted their own citizens with, in the tsunami aftermath. That was despicable. Just no excuse. But I'm sure they are all still there, sipping brandy in the inter-sanctums, on Wireless Rd. in BKK.

If there is a British national there who is in trouble, it should be the Embassy's job number one, to help this guy. It is why they are supposed to even exist there. Too many people have lost sight of this. He's not their problem? Wrong answer! He sure as fuck *is* their problem, and is why they are there, and should define their very existance. If the British Embassy does not want to help this guy, then they are not doing their job. And the same goes for any other Embassy.

HT

HIGH THAIED said:Embassies are supposed to be there, to assist citizens of originating countries who travel there...If there is a British national there who is in trouble, it should be the Embassy's job number one, to help this guy. It is why they are supposed to even exist there.
Errr, no. In order of importance to their mission, basically an embassy: a) represents their goverment in that country, B) acts as a link between the two governments, c) is the "eyes and ears" of their country, d) looks for opportunities for trade between the two countries, e) acts as a PR firm for their country, f) informs people in that country about their country and issues travel documents, and g) helps their citizens in difficulties, or in need of documentation (but that does not include common criminal complaints, lending of money to the destitute, etc.)

Basically, if the guy does not want help (and he obviously does not since he is right there at the Embassy), the Embassy is not going to force it on him. And all they will grudgingly do is to contact family to sort it out if he asks. They will not sort it for him. Not their job, despite what 1000's of inexperienced travellers think.

Cheers,

SD

Wow, lots of sympathy for this guy. And someone even gave him a few 100 baht!

When was the last time any of you guys gave 100s of baht to a Thai beggar or mother/baby on the streets of BKK??

Maybe you could all open your eyes a little more and not be so selective with your sympathy

Simon

Hi,

>>>looks for opportunities for trade between the two countries, e) acts as a PR firm for their country,>>>

Well, if everything like this comes before the care of it's own citizens, then no wonder it's all fucked.

In order of importance, >>>>helps their citizens in difficulties, or in need of documentation<<< comes in as the very last protocal. ::

It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out there is something wrong with that picture. We can manage trade and PR from our own countries. It's the age of electronic information. Give me a break...What is the great need to be on the ground there, spending millions every year for an Embassy, while ignoring the simple needs of a few citizens in dire straights, located there?

I'm just not buying it. Sorry!

HT

simon43,

We all give generously to BGs in terms of tips, drinks, payments, etc.

I bet thai waitresses love seeing falang customers..

Charity is all about being selective in giving to what one believes in.

If you want to rent a plane and spread your bank account over bkk, that is your choice....

There is always a "birds of the same feather flock together" mentality in whatever we do and i think it is hard to criticize those intentions....

I think you might be surprised how well falangs do give to the local population...

Cardinalblue

Archived