Farang on Suk Soi 19 on his last legs

MaiLuk

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Some falangs are not interested in that type of help.

I met one falang who claimed he had 4 baht and wanted to borrow some money so he could buy water.

Instead of giving him money, I showed him where he could get ice cold water free.

The next day (about 10 hours later) I saw him at one of the small bars on soi 7. He yelled to me to come over so I did. It turns out luck was on his side. Since I met him, he was able to get enough money for a lady and when he finished spending his money at the bar, he planned going out again.

dinkas said:

Perhaps, the guy should have purchased travel insurance. Then, his insurance company would have sent him some money. Why didn't he contact a family member/friend back home and get them to transfer money to him through Western Union?

From what I remember, that man stayed one month at my place last year. He was 63 years old, lost his wife, no relatives. I suppose he had no one to call in the UK and spent his last few baht out of his pocket on the day he got robbed.

I also recall MOST people don't have travel insurance. (old discussion here)

I do and just checked my contract, which says in case of theft You need FIRST to contact your embassy (sic) "WE will communicate you the adress of the nearest embassy"

Yep, very handy if you are 800km from that nearest embassy without money....contact them by phone and they will help you??? Bullshit.

"We will replace your travel documents as soon as you will have credited us with their countervalue...etc Idem for cash, max 2500 euro". Better have friends advance some cash or pay ticket...

I'm well aware of the begger scams in BKK! I've not just arrived off the plane from London:)

And I have a clear conscience on this. I have given 100,000s of baht to Thai charities which help needy children and women.

But you don't often see a thread on this forum where members mention how they have seen a begger/homeless Thai family etc etc, and what we can do to help them!

simon43 said:But you don't often see a thread on this forum where members mention how they have seen a begger/homeless Thai family etc etc, and what we can do to help them!
Having lived here long enough to know *some* of the scams, I agree with Khun Sanuk that the women with children beggars are run by the mafia. I have seen them being dropped off from a pick up truck in a carpark off Sukhumvit. Story I get from my Thai copper buddy is that they basically get room and board and maybe B50/day. The majority of the money goes to the mafia. The kids are generally not theirs, but orphans or stolen babies. I do not give money to them. If they do not have any food/drink, I have been known to buy that for them -- the bastards cannot take that away from them.

Cheers,

SD

"But you don't often see a thread on this forum where members mention how they have seen a begger/homeless Thai family etc etc, and what we can do to help them!"

It's easier to comment than to do. There's nothing that I know of preventing you or anyone from posting about how to effectively aid the needy.

Personally, I would not give to beggers on the street. Yes, I see them everyday I go to the farang ghetto. So what?

Follow them around. See how much they collect in a day.

Life sucks, but it's a good reminder to do the best we can.

Suadam wrote:

[color:"red"] "Having lived here long enough to know *some* of the scams, I agree with Khun Sanuk that the women with children beggars are run by the mafia. " [/color]

One of the best examples of this is the woman with 'babies' near the Asoke train station (north side). She used to hangout at Nana but for the last 1-2 years has found Asoke to be her home. She has always played the same routine and that is with the children and almost lifeless small puppies. The puppies never grow up and sometimes they get smaller (puppies get changed). The puppies act like they are about to die (in China it is known as drugging).

:yay: [color:"blue"] This act is one of the best in Bangkok. Some falangs give 20 baht but it is not unusal for some to give 100 baht. [/color]

to nobody in particular.

i am a bit surprised by the lack of simple compassion shown by many posters here. who cares if that bloke did it to himself, or if he is a drugaddict/alcoholic? the only thing that matters is that he obvioulsy is a human in dire need of help.

fair enough if one says that one has not the recources to help, it is in such cases very difficult as there is no particular NGO or office to help such people, but the disdain shown here by many is a bit shocking.

there are many people who do lose the plot here, some even for no appearant reason. many years ago i have picked up one bloke like this off the streets. it turned out that he suddenly developed a serious mental problem, and was alright after i brought him to a mental institution where he was straight away put under medication, was send back home (after applying pressure to the relevant embassy which did nothing other than calling the police who at first wanted to put him in jail).

things like this can happen to anyone. don't be so secure in your own comfortable life. everybody has a breaking point. and if such a thing happens to you, you would wish that there would be someone present to help you.

things like this can happen to anyone. don't be so secure in your own comfortable life. everybody has a breaking point. and if such a thing happens to you, you would wish that there would be someone present to help you.

You're right, no one seems to know the real full story. He could be acting, on drugs, sick (phisically/mentally), or been assaulted.. Maybe amnesia... who knows.

Anyone asked?

Archived