A380 wow.

Shit-Spattered Dog

From the http://www.theglobeandmail.com Jan 11 2005.

Cann't wait to mingle downstairs at the bar with a rum and coke.\

Shit.

Airbus prepares to unveil the A380

Tuesday, January 11, 2005 - Page B15

The A380 super-jumbo passenger jet, due to be officially unveiled next week, was wheeled out of its hangar in southwestern France yesterday for the first time.

The prototype, one of four that will make test flights later this year, will remain in the open for 48 hours before returning inside the hangar at Blagnac, near the city of Toulouse, sources said.

The plane, designed by the European consortium Airbus, will be officially unveiled on Jan. 18 at Blagnac, about two months before its maiden flight, Airbus executives have said.

The A380 is set to break a 30-year monopoly that U.S. aircraft maker Boeing has held in the market for big passenger airplanes with its 747 jumbo.

French President Jacques Chirac, British Prime Minister Tony Blair, German Chancellor Gerhard Schroeder and European Commission president Jose Manuel Barroso are expected to attend the unveiling.

Representatives of all airlines that have ordered the A380, which is set to become the world's biggest commercial airliner, carrying up to 550 passengers, were also on the guest list.

Airbus is 80-per-cent owned by the European Aeronautic Defence and Space Company, and the rest of aircraft maker's capital is owned by British defence contractor BAE Systems.

Meanwhile, United Parcel Service Inc. said yesterday it had placed an order for 10 A380 freighter jets to expand its capacity to handle strong international growth.

The world's largest package delivery company said its order gives UPS the option to buy 10 more of the aircraft, which can carry three decks of cargo and fly nonstop to places around the world that used to take two or more flights. The purchase price was not disclosed. AFP, Reuters

E-mail this Article E-mail this Article

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That was one configuration I read about. Other airlines will configure to suit their needs but I suspect to inorder to lure back the flying public some carriers will try it out.

And why not? Airlines have screwed the paying economy class passenger for far to long now. Tiny cramped narrow seats, crappy food. But I always seem to have a decent comforable seat on any Airbus plane.

THought for a long time that the 747 was the class of the sky. But ever since airlines started to cram more seats in economy I found it to be small, cramped and stuffy.

The A380 is supposed to be designed to be spacious, and comfortable in all classes. It is meant to relieve the cramped stuffiness that the 747 now displays. And with up to 800 seats it could still become that way, But hey, think any airline could fill 800+ seats on each route? I guess as the passager load grows it will one day reach this level but in the mean time it should be fun flying in it.

The A380 was build with future capacity in mind.

Beam me up Scotty.

SSD

The A380 is supposed to be designed to be spacious, and comfortable in all classes. It is meant to relieve the cramped stuffiness that the 747 now displays.

No, all that extra space will be filled with seats. Watch. *maybe* for a very short time there will be a bar, bigger seats, more room... whatever. But sooner or later (sooner I predict) it'll be as full as the 747's.

"I always seem to have a decent comforable seat on any Airbus plane."

The A330 Garuda uses on its Tokyo ? Indonesia run is a dog. Cramped seating in a ?2-4-2? configuration. My poor girlfriend woke me up on the redeye back to Japan the other day as I was crushing her in the struggle to usurp as much space humanly possible. :grinyes:

Have not done much research on the A380 but I am very curious what the Japanese carriers' plans are particularly with domestic routes. I can envision filling these suckers up with 8,000 people (bar... lounge?? ? oh please!) on the Osaka ? Tokyo trips. :yikes:

800 + plus people actually. It was build for mainly long haul flights like Europe to Asia, US to Asia. Right now their upgrading the major airports on the west coast of America because it's to big and heavy for them to handle it.

Like I said, it was concepted from the drawing board to production to swapped out the current airline image of cramplyness.(sp.) The vision of having a bar, duty free shopping " downstairs" was sprung from the drawning board. They actuallly are building a feeling of spaciousness into the plane. It's build to seat 800 but meant to seat around 500. The extra room could be used for bars, duty free shopping etc.

SSD

Nervous_Dog said:

The priginal 747 also was supposed to have a bar area upstair etcc.

Pity, would have been fun!

bouncing around during tubolance!

DOG

My very first flight in a plane was in a 747 to Hawai.i We sat in the uppper deck with our very own flight attendent. It had 12 seats and a lounge area with a bar and round couches to relax in. It was great sitting on the couch watching the islands come into view with a mai tai in hand.

And it wasn't even fiirst class!

:: Never will forget that flight. :D

ssd.

It's build to seat 800 but meant to seat around 500. The extra room could be used for bars, duty free shopping etc.

If they think they can sell 300 extra tickets ( = $30,000 on a $1000 flight), do you think they won't install the extra seats?

Archived