Westerners rights in Thailand

Fatbastard

A few weeks ago someone wrote in to the BKK post regarding Purachai?s intended move to New Zealand where he will live with his family. The writer then went on to compare the rights Khun Purachai will have in NZ , such as full right to property ownership, apply for permanent residence and after 2 years of residence the right to apply for full citizenship, none of these are normally available to NZ citizens living in Thailand.

I live here with my wife and two Thai daughters and like most of us with families here, would love to have the rights in Purachai?s country that my country extends to him.

The only way to effect change is to exert political pressure, in my case I can influence my wife and her extended family to put pressure on their local candidates to at least ask whether they think it is fair that a westerner who is a long term resident with a business, family and a rest of life commitment to Thailand should remain as an outsider with no say in the politics or running of the country in which he lives. While I am sure the government is happy to receive the, 300,000+ baht myself and my company pays in tax?s each year they don?t even give me the right to wholly own that company or even the property we live in. It?s a bit late for this election but well prior to the next one I intend to initiate a campaign to remind the Westerners, particularly those with families that we are by most standards treated unfairly by the government of the country we live in and love.

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Fatbastard,

I would like reciprocal rights also, Mi Wi Mee has now a NZ Citizenship, and Passport.

And all I can get in Thailand is, way too much money paid for a years visa :(

Mind you NZ is supposed to welcome all and with a population of 4 mill we could do with a few more people.

Oh Well

Cheers

Coss

I agree.

However, in other situations it is quite the other way around.

Just about anybody is allowed 30 days stay in LOS, no question asked. If you as a thai national wants to visit my country or a significant number of other western countries, you are in for a long application proces and chances are that you will be denied entry as "we cannot be sure that you won`t be staying here indefinitely" or something along those lines.

Seems to be the general reply these days :(

Cheers

Hua Nguu

Hua Nguu said:

I agree.

However, in other situations it is quite the other way around.

Just about anybody is allowed 30 days stay in LOS, no question asked.

Plain false.

The countries whose citizens are allowed the 30 days (tourist) visa on arrival are the ones richer or economically comparable to Thailand.

Not allowing them in would just be Thailand and nobody else's loss (and they still make it difficult and costly, for them, to prolong their stay and their spending in the country...).

If you as a thai national wants to visit my country or a significant number of other western countries, you are in for a long application proces and chances are that you will be denied entry as "we cannot be sure that you won`t be staying here indefinitely" or something along those lines.

Seems to be the general reply these days :(

How many overstaying westerners do you see in Thailand enjoying its welfare state benefits, working common jobs and sending money back home?.....

Fatbastard said:The only way to effect change is to exert political pressure, in my case I can influence my wife and her extended family to put pressure on their local candidates

I do think that the only effective way to deal with it would be to make the situation known (at every chance, barred none) to the western public opinions (with plenty of real life examples, particularly when families/women/children are involved) and putting pressure on our politicians to reciprocate.

Of course in our politically corrected good samaritan stupid western world reciprocation of unfair and discriminatory treatments (especially if directed at us...) is impossible but western govts still have the (ecomomical and financial) means to influence others when they really want to.

treated unfairly by the government of the country we live in and love.

Where do you think governments come from (especially in those so called democracies Thailand is supposed to be one of)?.....

Well, lets call it what is. Fear. Many of your poorer, non western countries fear westerners will come in take over and dominate the economy and leave natives out. This fear, manifested with similar immigration laws can be seen in other countries and regions. Thais have seen how much the Chinese and Indian merchant class in LOS have been successful and this will impede their opening up the country to western immigration as well.

The problem is I think the leadership hasn't learned what the west has learned. That immigration can actually help your economy. America wouldn't be nearly as economically successful today without immigration, it was the backbone of growth for decades. And as much as we complain about illegal immigration, some states are still reliant on it for their economies. Europe has seen the need for immigrants as well.

Controlled immigration would be a good thing for Thailand, however, until Thailand realizes this, the status quo will remain.

chocolat steve said:

Well, lets call it what is. Fear. Many of your poorer, non western countries fear westerners will come in take over and dominate the economy and leave natives out.

Even when you are married to a Thai woman (yes, I say woman since they are even more discriminated in this regard) and have with her your own children and you already know that is impossible for you, as a non-Thai citizen, working "normal" jobs in LOS and all you want is just to live in Thailand with your family supporting yourself and your family with the money you made elsewhere they still make that very hard to realize putting on you any kind of restrictions, redtape, obligations and totally unrealistic (by Thai standards) financial requirements (which even vary according to your nationality!) to meet just to be able to live with your family and supporting you all!

I don't read any fear of foreign economic domination in that, just plain old fashioned Racism, Discrimination and Xenophobia.

Nervous_Dog said:

Interesting, dont forget non Australian citizens cant buy 2nd hand houses or units in Asutralia, only off the plan!

If the foreigners are residents or hold even just temporary resident visas, they can.

That law is meant to prevent a certain type of property speculation going on in OZ while here we are talking about people married with children and living full time in LOS who are not able to own the hut they live in and they paid for, not even jointly with their wifes...

Archived