Irish man to appear in Thai court over murder

Fidel

Thai murder: man charged

01 February 2005

John Breslin

AN IRISHMAN is expected to appear in court in Thailand charged with the unlawful killing of a fellow Irish national.

Patrick Farrell, aged 57 and originally from Derry, is accused of killing bar and budget hotel owner Ernest Brennan from Dublin.

Mr Brennan, from Howth in north Dublin, died after being stabbed in the Pattaya beach resort bar, Jimmy?s Place, which the 45-year-old ran with his Thai wife.

It has been reported that the pair were involved in an argument over the price of a taxi fare and hotel room shortly before the fatal stabbing. Farrell remained at the scene to wait for police to arrive. He was arrested at the scene and taken to Pattaya Police Station.

Thai police said the Derryman has been charged with murder and investigations are continuing.

Both men carried Irish passports. The Irish embassy. has been informed and is offering consular assistance.

Jimmy?s Place, with its bar and budget hotel, is situated close to the centre of Pattaya, a popular tourist destination on the east coast of Thailand.

The stabbing happened around 1.30am on Sunday, according to Thai police.

Eyewitnesses described how Mr Brennan was sitting on a stool by the bar when he was approached by another man holding a four-inch knife. He was then fatally stabbed. There was still blood on the floor of the bar by the stool.

Mr Brennan was taken to hospital but was pronounced dead on arrival.

Friends of Mr Brennan said he had only recently married his wife, who has a daughter aged five from an earlier relationship.

web page

[color:"green"]

When I told my GF about it she said, "...they were probably drunk.". She doesn't have much time for our national pastime.

[/color]

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

>I understand it has to sell newspapers, but "unlawful" as opposed to ?????? what ?<

If Mr Brennan would have pulled out a .45 and shot the guy with the knife in the head, then that would have been a "lawful" killing. In my book anyway. And a happy ending.

Instead an unarmed bar and hotel owner died like a dog :(

I just saw the front page of an Irish Tabloid. The killer looks like a proper down & out scumbag... there's a photo of him sitting at the bar with a Thai cop on either side.. and another of him waiing while handcuffed..

I hope they throw away the key.

I'm not trying to make light of the situation (with the deceased having a wife and kid, I can't imagine it being worst, particularly over a petty argument) but its too bad that it wasn't settled in an "Irish" way, with the deceased being shot in the kneecap (I am Irish-American and has spent quite a bit of time in Ireland, so please don't take this comment the wrong way). At least he would be alive , with a limp. But I'm sure this wasn't a catholic/protestant conflict and I hope that he has to spend the rest of his life in a Thai prison.

How can I get my wife to agree to me taking a little break to Thailand (a cultural visist you know) with this sort of shite going on.

Do these people not consider others when they decide to have a fucking argument.

Front page headlines in the Irish Papers here.

Fuck the pair of them.

Why couldn't they just sort their differences by sleeping with each others wife or partner.

Now I have to start over again and convine the wife that Thailand is a safe place to be.

Stabbing, chicken flu, tsunamis what the fuck next.

What happens in Thailand should be kept in Thailand. Don't advertise it all over the world.

No consideration for others.

Ok I'm off to talk to the wife again and try and convince her that I won't go to Pattaya to be stabbed by one of our own, I'll keep 10 miles from any ocean or open sea area.

I won't eat cock, sorry chicken, while I'm there and therefore should be ok from chicken flu. I never did see a coughing chicken thank god.

I hope this guy actually makes it to jail unlike the guy from I believe it was Belgium who stabbed his Thai girlfriend like 40 times and left her to die in his condo. Also in Pattaya. He was arrested and released on bond. The Thai authorites held his passport but he still managed to get out of the country. He fled back to his homeland. Since the Thai authorites don't have an extradition treaty with Belgium he basically got away with murder.

I hope this cocksucker is not afforded the same luxury.

Yeah guys I am in a rather shitty mood right now because of assholes like this guy making the rest of us look bad in Thai eyes!!

Since we all look alike no matter where we are from be it Europe, US, Canada, NZ, or OZ. If I missed anyplace you are in the same boat. IMO

krml said:I hope this guy actually makes it to jail unlike the guy from I believe it was Belgium who stabbed his Thai girlfriend like 40 times and left her to die in his condo. Also in Pattaya....Since we all look alike no matter where we are from be it Europe, US, Canada, NZ, or OZ. If I missed anyplace you are in the same boat. IMO
That is the major reason I refuse to go to Pattaya. The dregs of humanity seem to end up there, causing all kinds of problems. I could care less if everyone thinks the bars/gals/sex/whatever is better there, I can't stand the punters.

Cheers,

SD

Hamokhamok said:

How can I get my wife to agree to me taking a little break to Thailand (a cultural visist you know) with this sort of shite going on.

Do these people not consider others when they decide to have a fucking argument.

Front page headlines in the Irish Papers here.

Fuck the pair of them.

Why couldn't they just sort their differences by sleeping with each others wife or partner.

Now I have to start over again and convine the wife that Thailand is a safe place to be.

Stabbing, chicken flu, tsunamis what the fuck next.

What happens in Thailand should be kept in Thailand. Don't advertise it all over the world.

No consideration for others.

You got a point here, if I was the Irish guy and I had some beef with a fellow citizen, I'd think twice about taking him out in a country that has a notoriously harsh legal system - but then I suppose on the other hand, if the killer has enough cash to bribe his way out of jail, this IS the best place to do the dirty deed. Oh what a crazy country LOS is ::

Archived