Do you stop?

khunsanuk

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"I will not obey to other's rules against my will. "

I feel the same to a certain extent. I'm very open to other cultures and traditions, but don't swallow everything blindly if I see no sense or logic.

Which is why I give more importance to not showing disrespect than the opposite (think about behavior in/around temples, historical places, buddhas (amulets), social behavior, touching heads etc etc)

This, and only this, is the reason I don't wish to stop. Now if Thais see this as a great amount of disrespect towards whom/whatever in or related to Thailand then I'll statue myself for as long as I'm required to. ::

HIGH THAIED said:

I'm very conscious of being "the ugly American" when there, and do what I can to dispel such beliefs.

I think many of your countrymen feel the same way. Most Americans I meet here and elsewhere in Asia tend to be rather reserved, willing to play by the rules and not complain. People from one or two other countries, that will remain nameless, are far "uglier".

Hi Zaad,

>>> In places like a cinema (where one's asked to) a temple as you mentioned or army camps OK, that's one thing,

>>> but on my way to work on the skytrain or whatever, no thanks, I'll pass. That's ridiculous.

When I was a kid in UK I can remember standing up in the cinema for the National Anthem! This was the first thing that came to mind when I first encountered it in Thailand. I also wondered if or how long it will take to be the same as the present situation in the UK?

Cheers,

John Betong

Being a foreigner, when I am out in BKK alone I can pretend I don't know what it means and thus I don't stop and frankly nobody cares. When I am in the company of other Thais I acquiesce and stop , thus showing Thais I respect their culture.

Sort of like when I wai, I only do it in the prescence of Thais I deem important or when I am part of a group of Thais. You have to show respect and not embarass your friends. When I move around alone in BKK, barely give a wai, unless it is a really cute chick that is making eyes at me.

HIGH THAIED said:

Annoying?

Maybe. But you are a quest there. They are quite gracious in allowing you to be there. It's far more than my own country does.

It's a small price to pay, for being allowed to live there.

I would *never* "just keep going". I'm sorry to hear that you would think is ok to do. You're in their land, so only reasonable that you respect all their customs, as silly as some might be to you. It's no less your responsibility to do so, when there.

I don't always understand my gf's views. But would never keep me from doing what is told for me, what I have to do to enter a temple, or otherwise.

It all comes down to respect. This shit is important to the Thai people. They really don't ask much of us. The very least we can do, is be respectful of their culture, and capitulate to the very few things that they do ask from us.

Do you stop? I would pray that all of us here, do so. To not do so, is a total disrespect for the Thai culture. Is it really so much to ask? For what we get back in return?

HT

Dude as a foreigner you are allowed to ignorant of cerrtain customs. This is really a minor one and one that I ignore consistently. More important is how you respect customs when you are with or representing your Thai acquaintances, friends and family.

Being a farang does have its privileges.

Archived