Do you stop?

khunsanuk

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Now I'll stop at the Skytrain, but getting stuck in a traffic jam REALLY annoys me!

I imagine them wisking along "You know I can;t for the life of me understand why people complain about traffic? Pass me the caviar please, by wittle wittle doggie woggie wonts some, dont you pooch"

Of course the trick at the train station is to wait for the FIRST anthem, hear that and RUN, the royal one follows that.

DOG

I respect a person more who has manners and respects the customs of others then those who show no manners and does not respect anybody's custom. Some love to pat people on their head, point their feet at people and do other things that are irrating to some. Those that do not like to conform to local customs may end up being looked down upon by the local people.

lazyphil said:

Oh the one that gets blasted out in the streets on cranky old sound system?...I've never seen many Thais stop for this, when I stayed in Pakkret for a few months I had a street noodle stall I'd eat at every morning and heard this daily, the bustle never stopped!

i agree with you, never seen many Thais stop on streets. This is an old tradition, not common in year 2548 and... - now it comes - :stirthepo - ...who can stop and give respect to the national anthem under a TRT government :shakehead

Mentors said:
lazyphil said:

Oh the one that gets blasted out in the streets on cranky old sound system?...I've never seen many Thais stop for this, when I stayed in Pakkret for a few months I had a street noodle stall I'd eat at every morning and heard this daily, the bustle never stopped!

i agree with you, never seen many Thais stop on streets. This is an old tradition, not common in year 2548 and... - now it comes - :stirthepo - ...who can stop and give respect to the national anthem under a TRT government :shakehead

Mentors-

Isn't the one we talk about the one for the King, not the government?

I like the comment above re it's not being so much about the importance of showing respect, but more about not showing disrespect.

Where I work, everybody stops- but if you can make it onto an elevator just before it starts, everybody jumps at the chance. After all, you have to stand still there anyway!

Short_time wrote:

"I respect a person more who has manners and respects the customs of others then those who show no manners and does not respect anybody's custom"

In our own respective countries, some show no respect for such things as national anthem, flag, etc. When we see those type of people, we know who they are. When people from other countries visit our respective country, we appreciate it when they honor our customs and beliefs.

Just because some in Thailand do not appreciate their culture, traditions, etc. does not give us the right to also look at their culture, traditions, etc. with disrespect nor does it give us the right to mock them for their beliefs.

Hi Gomez,

>>>>>Always stop and always stand. It's a very small gesture. For me to do otherwise would be against my nature and rude. I don't care what other people do. <<<

Good for you! My feelings also. :beer:

I'm very conscious of being "the ugly American" when there, and do what I can to dispel such beliefs. I'm glad to hear others, such as yourself, are of like mind.

My gf will often say, "HT....you more Thai than me!" :D

But deep down, I know the most simple of gestures there, are the most meaningful. Just try standing at attention, during the mad rush to cross trains at Central station BTS at 8am. If you're after a certain girl you see there every day, she will be putty in your hands, after that. ;) You can take that to the bank! :chili:

HT

Archived