Do you stop?

khunsanuk

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

KS,

I always stand up in the cinema where ever I find myself in Thailand.

As for stopping, never in BKK, but I did when I was living in Phitsanulok. Reason for doing so was because I was living in an army camp and I'd be a fool not to stop and show respect. It's like obligatory in such places. But outside the army camp, nope, waste of time indeed.

Annoying?

Maybe. But you are a quest there. They are quite gracious in allowing you to be there. It's far more than my own country does.

It's a small price to pay, for being allowed to live there.

I would *never* "just keep going". I'm sorry to hear that you would think is ok to do. You're in their land, so only reasonable that you respect all their customs, as silly as some might be to you. It's no less your responsibility to do so, when there.

I don't always understand my gf's views. But would never keep me from doing what is told for me, what I have to do to enter a temple, or otherwise.

It all comes down to respect. This shit is important to the Thai people. They really don't ask much of us. The very least we can do, is be respectful of their culture, and capitulate to the very few things that they do ask from us.

Do you stop? I would pray that all of us here, do so. To not do so, is a total disrespect for the Thai culture. Is it really so much to ask? For what we get back in return?

HT

Hi Zaad,

OK. I understand is an inconvinience, and a bother to you.

But it is not ridiculous. It's just a different culture than yours. I know you live there. And can maybe see things differently than me, in doing so. But it is still not right, to shun what many khon Thai see, as culturaly important. I really do feel, that by being allowed to be there, it is important to have/show respect, no matter what my/your personal views are.

HT

Hi,

HT, gimme a break on the 'you are a guest' and 'this is shit important'.

Next time you are in Thailand have a look around and you will see that many Thais just keep walking as well (most certainly if they think nobody notices). I would bet that many of them are just as annoyed by this as I am, but they do not dare not stop for fear of consequences. It is much more fear of standing out then paying respect.

I would also *seriously* doubt that any of them would stop if the reverse was the case (i.e. them living in my country and its national anthem was played).

And finally, what possible good does it do to stop? How does this mean paying respect?

Sanuk!

I?m with you here. I do not like it BUT I think it is wrong not to do it. If people who are obviously tourists and simply do not realize keep walking then I think that is fine but if you are local and live here AND know, then I think it is a slap in the face of the Thais to not show this small sign of respect.

And finally, what possible good does it do to stop? How does this mean paying respect?

The same as them paying respect to you. Stopping alone, is an acknowledgement, and paying your respect.

Listen....I grew up (more or less) on a military base here in US. At 4:30pm, every day, the music would play, and you would have to stop your car, and get out to salute. Stupid? Sure it was. And still is, if practice is still going on today.

So I wonder, if still the custom, if my gf refused to get out of the car, because is some "Silly american bullshit crap".

Actually, I'd agree with her. :D But hopefully you get my point.

Why do you stand up in a movie theater there? Because only if you don't, you'll be pelted with rocks and stones? You do in deferance, to the people you live around, and for your honey. How would she take you remaining seated? Not too well, I think.

The whole thing has to do with stopping, and paying repect. That is it's whole purpose, for whatever symbolic reason. Yea..kinnda stupid, but we are not unknown to do the same in US culture.

You know what it really shows respect for? The khon Thai you're standing next to, at the moment.

HT

Archived