Do you stop?

khunsanuk

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If everyone else stops and you have a farang "I don't have to do this" card, doesn't it mean that you get to where you want to go to more quickly, in which case you shouldn't be annoyed? :dunno:

And if you get annoyed by this, how annoying do you find it when you're prevented from even climbing up to the skytrain because some member of the royal family is about to pass below in a convoy and you're not allowed to be above them?::

I like the 6 O'Clock Lumpini Park ritual and I stand at the cinema but I must say that the novelty of having to do it before every movie showing (whatever the time) is a bit thin. First of all, why for movies? :dunno: You could just as well do it for TV movies or cabaret shows! Plus, I don't like the sense of indoctrination you get over watching the film that accompanies it.

HT,

"I really do feel, that by being allowed to be there, it is important to have/show respect, no matter what my/your personal views are."

I understand your views HT but don't agree 100%.

The difference as I see it that (as I'm allowed to live here) it's more important not to show disrespect rather than to show respect as you put it, significant difference.

As for stopping, OK, little respect shown.

As for not stopping, I seriously doubt Thais see this as a sign of disrespect to their country since lots do it them very selves as KS mentioned.

Another thing we could discuss is the fact that you mention that we're guests in LOS. Correct. But in general, they don't always treat us as welcome guests now do they, so why the need to follow every little tradition most (not all) Thais do, especially something as innocent as stopping at 8am on one's way to work?

Hi,

"And if you get annoyed by this, how annoying do you find it when you're prevented from even climbing up to the skytrain because some member of the royal family is about to pass below in a convoy and you're not allowed to be above them?"

I think that any comment I make on this would break the board rules :drunk:;)

Sanuk!

The difference as I see it that (as I'm allowed to live here) it's more important not to show disrespect rather than to show respect as you put it, significant difference.

As for stopping, OK, little respect shown.

As for not stopping, I seriously doubt Thais see this as a sign of disrespect to their country since lots do it them very selves as KS mentioned.

Hit the nail on the head there Zaad, as far as I'm concerned. I wouldn't be offended if Thais didn't follow my country's traditions/customs etc, so I don't see how they would care if I followed theirs.

I would, however, remain silent and not make a nuisance of myself at this time.

Guest lazyphil

Not my king so I aint stopping, I will never bad mouth him in public, I dont give a toss about Lizzy so I'm not going to worry about this, simple really :)....if 'they' make life easier for me to have a visa when I'm older to live in LOS I might give it some thought to do, till then no! (I wouldn't expect the mrs to stand to attention to God save The Queen ---she aint no human being ::)

Guest lazyphil

Oh the one that gets blasted out in the streets on cranky old sound system?...I've never seen many Thais stop for this, when I stayed in Pakkret for a few months I had a street noodle stall I'd eat at every morning and heard this daily, the bustle never stopped!

I stand at the movie theatre because all the things I hear about the guy are good. How many people can you say that about? I'll give the benefit of any doubt and believes he has earned that respect.

I've got a friend who refuses to stand at the theatre. He says he respects the guy, but he'll never see it so why stand? On the same token, why go to your parents funeral?

On the street? If it's convenient I'll stop. It's no thing to me not to stop.

<<burp>>

Archived