Perhaps Avoid Phnom Penh and Pattaya ?

changnoi

I think that Torrenova's post from the long 'P4P in Cambodia, places to go?' thread deserves repeating,

I have had the misfortune to meet a couple of guys from this board who are too interested in the underage activities going on in Cambodia. I will not "out" them here but I think we cannot bury our heads in the sand and pretend that some posters on this board are not paedophiles.

I believe that discussion and identification of those places where the unsuspecting tourist may accidentally venture, acts as a form of protection rather than serving to encourage people to actively seek them out . The real sickos already know where these places are and no doubt have their own websites on which they share informtion.

From my own point of view, I may have one day to make a visa run to Cambodia and having never been there before, I am interested in what to expect, where to go for a couple of days and perhaps more importantly, where to avoid.

...as it highlights a real problem and raises the question of how we should deal with the issue of giving publicity to 'good' or 'bad' venues in problematic locations.

I agree with the comment about board members. It is an unpalatable fact that paedophiles will comprise a portion of any community, perhaps especially 'nightlife' communities, although I personally believe that the percentage here would be a very small one.

However, as to the second point about posting details of 'bad' venues, while I have posted lists of 'good' venues from my last trip to Phnom Penh, I wonder if it might be better not to give publicity to any venues at all, given the current situation.

I have some awareness of the paedophile problem, particularly with regard to Pattaya, and know of some current horror stories involving children under 14. One acquaintance, who has recently seen the activity with his own eyes, persuaded me to boycott Pattaya this year as he has chosen to do himself.

If fewer tourists go to Pattaya, at least fewer ASTs (adult-sex tourists), it may do something to encourage the authorities to take action. Hit them where it hurts: tourist revenues. Of course few care enough to take this action: as in Phnom Penh many will continue to go for the cheap sex and beer, admittedly the vast majority of them being ASTs. But for those that feel strongly - perhaps the answer is simply not to go.

And unfortunately, as with Phnom Penh, many people are in denial about the existence of the problem in Pattaya (and ironically, the same people offend in both locations). Particularly those who benefit financially like restaurant owners etc. (even paedophiles have to eat and drink). At the very least they play down its prevalence. Some are no doubt more involved.

I would suggest considering avoiding Pattaya and looking at some of the other places that Thailand has to offer. I've enjoyed trips around Isaan, the North West, south as far as Hat Yai etc. No doubt there are brothels supplying 15 year old girls to locals in these areas, but they simply do not attract foreign paedophiles in the way that Pattaya does.

And the same goes for Cambodia. Please, please don't associate the whole country with foreign paedophiles. Again, trips up the river to Ratanakiri, or around Battambang or Kampot are fascinating, and you won't see the the kind of stuff that goes on around some of the bars on Pattaya's Beach Road.

I would say don't write-off either country. But if you feel you must react, boycott Phnom Penh and Pattaya.

BTW My comments are related to heterosexual paedophilia in Pattaya. The homosexual 'under 18' activity that occurs there is rarely mentioned in guidebooks but is real. And it's something that for cultural reasons is much less tolerated, and consequently much rarer, in Cambodia, than it is in Pattaya.

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

changnoi,

Very good point and this is something that i have also been pondering for a little while. The increasing violence and general sleeziness of pattaya is something has put me of the place for some time but the nail in the coffin was the incidence of the sort of thing that is often highlighted in the media news article news article 2

I can appreciate terranova's stand on not wanting to out people that he has met from this board that he believes that are involved in this sort of nastiness. But maybe he could at least alert the board owner to make sure this sort of person is filtered out. Terranova being a pattaya bar owner of some standing and the author of some very insightful posts on this board i do believe that this matter should be given some careful consideration.

Thailand has so much more to offer than just hanging about bars in close proximity to rock spiders, as can be seen by the post in the trips section about the guy riding his bike trough the north east.

One of the biggest problems is Thais up in the country having incestuous relations within their own family-Let alone outside of the family Its rampant-This is the reason Thais are so lress "up in arms about the issue"

I also have reason to believe(99% sure ) one or more posters here are active peadophiles-which gives me serious pause-

Excellent post IMHO-Thanks

I have seen my fair share of pedophiles in Pattaya. One time on a baht bus I saw an English guy with a 14 or 15 year old boy going back to his room.

Talking about disgusting. I was a little bit ticked off about it but said nothing. When I got back to the hotel my wife in typical Thai fashion said, "Up to him." When I said something about it.

Of course I have seen many other acts of pedophilia there but you don't want to start trouble considering what could happen to you in a foreign country.

Is it a cultural thing that most people accept this in SE Asia or am I wrong?

jitagawn said:

I also have reason to believe(99% sure ) one or more posters here are active peadophiles-which gives me serious pause-

This thread does raise some interesting discussion, but more of that when I have a minute or two.

Just thought I'd make a suggestion, jitagawn, It would probably be in the board's interest if you were to PM KS about the paedos you refer to, I am sure he'd boot them if true and that'd make the board a better place.

Cheer

Coss

Redbaron said:

... and how would KS know if they were pedo's or not?

He wouldn't, he'd have to rely on some one's word.

And when I'm in Los later this year, I'll have my 11 yr old daughter with me, I hope I'm not spotted crossing a busy road, hand in hand with my daughter. Some one might start reporting the sickening rise of Paedos in Silom and Sukhumvit.

My earlier comment was tongue in cheek (the one about PM ing KS).

The biggest problem in my view, about paedophilia, is not the undeniable sickening existence of it, but the rabid pursuit of anything that looks like it. i.e. " I saw a man in a red shirt go into a child brothel, therefore all men in red shirts are paedos".

This is the kind of thinking that is prevalent in the western world.

Particularly in NZ, men who travel alone to Asia are only going for one thing.

Women on the other hand, are only going for the spas, massages, and facials, but if "romance" appears that's all right.

Romance for men doesn't exist apparently, unless you're a nice young Thai stud who's milking a large western Cow.

The eternal question of what to do about paedos is easily answered. If anyone sees or knows about these activities, and is sure of it, report it to the police. Easy.

If there's only a sneaking suspicion, it might be wise to put the puritanical morals back in the box.

Cheers

Coss

Archived