Ebay Business from Bangkok??

Thinking about setting up a business based in Bangkok (Very very small set up and running costs)

Biggest problem will be Postal services /couriers etc. Who are good and cheap to send to US and UK???

Do not expect the business to "Keep Me" !! But should cover all my costs etc.

I still will be Lonon based as far as Ebay are concerned. makes it easier for me to get money from bank through |ATM's etc.

Cheers

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It may not be possible for a foreigner to legally obtain a visa and work permit to run a marginally profitable business in Thailand, as minimum income requiremnts were put into place a couple of years ago.

I remember reading (possibly on this board) that the government was going to "crack down" (a much over-used term) on people who doing business from Thailand without the proper documents (correct visa, and permits, for example), and to do so, they were going to start inspecting more packages going out by mail and express services, looking for just this sort of thing.

If you want to sell on ebay from Thailand, you might want to think about having your operations (warehouse and shipping) elsewhere.

Yes The post is expensive but dont ebay customers pay for the post? I would not worry about the legal situation until you are up and running and starting to pull in customers. Try it for a few runs, get the kinks out of it and then once you are sure you want to continue pay the legal fees.

Best of luck

I know a guy who does similar line of work ... but he's Japanese and sells on J website.

He sells football jerseys primarily ...

He's not "working" legally ... nor rich ... but enough to support his lifestyle in BKK.

I think there are a lot of Thai related business in eBay already so not sure how one can find a niche there.

I was just in Chaing Mai and bought a couple of things to put on ebay.....

But I just looked and they were already on there from someone else !

And cheaper first bid than I paid for them !

So check your market for others doing the same thing,

unless you have a unique item there are lots of people out there willing to sell for a buck or 2 profit

NOT ME :)

PS....just got back from the post , sent 15kg package to USA , surface mail

2510 baht and 53 baht for insurance (4000b)

I doubt your customers will want to wait 3-4 weeks for there item.....

Unless they are high ticket items, it ain't never going to work.

Other people will have an established distribution network where they ship in bulk (to England or wherever) and then have the orders broken up in the destination country and shipped cheaply via ground or whatever.

The only stuff that has a decent enough margin with a low $ cost is copyrighted stuff. Might be an outside chance, but I take it visiting/living in Thailand outweighs the danger of getting caught. Least it does for me.

<<burp>>

Luke,

I don't know what kind of items you are planning to sell , but in any case where is the point in shipping piece by piece from bangers; why don't you hold the stock somewhere in the Uk , many companies are prepared to handle your shipments.

BuBi

Talking about Ebay in general : I set up a new company in May last year for sales on ebay only. the success is such that I am currently cutting down my other business in favour of this wonderful new venture. I have never been selling to consumers before but I have to say finally I found paradise. It is incredible.

Cheers for replies.

The reason I want to keep it all based in Bangkok is to escape tax etc in Uk.. Paid enough tax etc for one life. It wont generate a lot of money for me but will be part of a few ideas. postage .... will have to get a fast airmail etc to Uk. Most parcels will be large (Size of a DVD player etc,but not a DVD player!!)

Also the numbers will be small so hope not to attract any attention.

One thing I am learning is not to talk too much in Thailand to your "own" or Thais!!. keep it all nice a nd quiet!

Cheers

Getting harder to find things in Thailand that somebody isn't already flogging on eBay. Too many people getting the same idea.

Now if you want to sell to Japan, there's only one way to go: used knickers!!!

:)

p.s. The late Crazy Jack used to have the dancers in his bar drop their bottoms into a box at the end of each night. He said he was shipping them to Japan to be sold in VENDING MACHINES.

Archived