Ebay Business from Bangkok??

OCgringo said:

From what i see its the locals that will hurt you, If the Local Thai makes $5 on an item he is happy, probably does not even own it , just goes over and buys it once he has payment,

you have to pay for , ship and wherehouse all your stuff.

If it's something readily available in LOS with a reliable supply line you're toast, unless there's a shipping or other logistical disadvantage you can exploit.

OTOH, if it's sold in part on the basis of scarcity (as with any collectible), you might be in better shape if your knowledge of the collectible or of the western market can serve as a barrier to entry. I'd say that on half my items there's somebody else selling, and on the other half it's a case of "if you can find it, more power to you." Skim the cream on the former and know your stuff on the latter.

I think everyone would rather sell a few items for bigger margins than many for smaller margins, but with the smaller margins it becomes very much a matter of productivity and using software and other automated tools. Those have advanced quite a bit in recent years.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I read the threads on NanaPlaza board. All have opinions but few, if any, are actually making money.

Only one German stated he was selling on eBay. He did not mention product nor where he was selling. There are different eBay's all over the world. EBbay Canada, eBay UK, eBay Germany, etc.

I sincerely doubt if anyone is selling on these site without a contact back in home country. Or these guys do go home with the stuff then sell it.

The only smart one I read was to set up your own website and then use your website's address as your eBay seller "name". Then sell a few inexpensive items but mention the website or lead buyers to your website. Then sell directly off website.

If this German guy claims he is selling directly from Thailand, I find it hard to believe. The shipping costs are high (per item) and most people do not want to wait 3 weeks for something to arrive (on a good day). Customs randomly opens items and duties can/will be charged - and this will piss off customers/buyers.

Then there is the "bootleg" software. Ebay will shut you down real quick if it even thinks that the software is bootleg.

Also, the IRS, in the news the other day, is working with eBay to try and figure out a way to collect income taxes from sellers in US.

Ebay requires positive ID for sellers. It doesn't take rocket science for the IRS to cross reference and check sellers income tax returns.

This has not taken place yet.

There is money to be made, no doubt. But it takes a keen business model to find the right product, then ship it economically.

One posting mentioned an item a Brit bought up in Chiang Mai. Took it back to UK and went to sell it - low and behold - this same item was already for sale on eBay for LESS than he paid for it in Chiang Mai.

unit,

** If this German guy claims he is selling directly from Thailand, I find it hard to believe. **

Nothing to worry about because the German guy sells from warehouse stock at home . ebay Germany , automotive parts. Mentioning your own website on Ebay will generate a few direct sales but not enough volume to maintain a min noi and a couple of expensive cars which is what the German guy is after.

BuBi

Archived