Propecia, finasteride

Ah, now I remember why I don't post much on this site. People are a bit too serious over here. To answer the points raised by Short-time:-

Sorry you took my post so seriously and I hope my response was not so harsh that it drives you away from the board. Although from your number of posts it does not appear you have been around here all that long.

Enough said. As I mentioned in earlier posts on this subject I have used both finasteride and minoxidil in combination for well over ten years now and I still have a full head of hair. Not as dense as it was when I was twenty, but that was a long, long time ago. Iâ??m not really interested in growing new hair, just keeping what I have, and thatâ??s why I keep taking these two medications.

I agree with most of what you posted apart from your insistence that minoxidilâ??s hair growth is due to it increasing blood circulation in the scalp. This is simply conjecture and there is no proof to support it. But who cares as long as it works as we are not a bunch of scientists here. ;)

One thing I did forget to mention though is that for guys living in the states the cheapest place Iâ??ve found to buy minoxidil is Costco. Their Kirkland brand of four 60 ml bottles of 5% solution sells for just 20 bucks - hard to beat that price anywhere.

One question: Why would one prefer to take minoxidil in pill form where is will circulate throughout your body as opposed to applying a concentrated solution topically directly to the scalp where it will do the most good? Seems like a no-brainer to me.

Also, for those who wish to experiment with increasing minoxidils absorption into the scalp, a very small amount of Retin-A can be added to the solution. Iâ??m not recommending it, but preparations of this mixture are available.

ST

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

O.k. My 1/2 a satang here. I am bald on the top. I tried topical minoxidil, didn;t weork. Looked into Propecia, was told not to waste my money. Apparently, the type of baldness I have can only be treated with graphs. I got that from a doctor who DOES NOT do transplants, and one who does. Take that for what it is worth.

I was scepticle about the propecia, as I was told by my doctor that one of the side effects was/could be loss of libido... That would be my luck, have hair, look great, get chicks, can't fuck...now it's no hair, getting carpel tunnel...

BTW, what is the name and location of this hair transplantation expert in BKK? how do we know he is one of the best? anyone here ever go to him? and does he do charity work?

The side effect of reduced libido with the use of finasteride (Propecia, Proscar) can happen, but I believe it to be overstated. If you limit your daily dose to about 1 mg and give your body a month or two to adjust to the drug, very few will experience problems.

I think this concern developed as result of men taking Proscar for the treatment of a swollen prostate where the recommended dose is 5 mgâ??s per day. At this much higher dosage, loss of libido becomes more problematic.

For someone trying it for hair loss I would suggest you take it four to six weeks before deciding to discontinue treatment. Of course as with all medications - use them only with the supervision of a physician... :grinyes:

ST

Not certain I understand your question, but if you are asking if the mentioned drugs are available over the counter in LOS the answer is yes, except Iâ??m not sure about the Propecia brand. Never seen it, but never looked for it.

Just to be clear - Propecia, Proscar and finasteride are the same drug. Only difference is dosage. Propecia comes in 1 mg tablests, while Proscar and all of the generic finasteride I have seen are 5 mg tabs. Save yourself some money and buy the generic finasteride if you plan on giving it a try.

One thing to keep in mind when using either or finasteride or minoxidil for hair loss is donâ??t expect any miracles. About the best you can hope for is to stop, or at least slowdown the rate at which you are loosing whatever hair you have left. Any re-growth tends to amount to just â??peach fuzzâ? so, in your case transplants might be the best option.

Highly unlikely you will be able to get these for free. ï� I understand the process is expensive, painful, time consuming and not always successful.

ST

Frankly, most "plug jobs" I have seen really sucked. An "expert" in Beverly hills years back told me I was to light complected, my hair was to thin and to light colored, and it would look awful...he would not do it...that was 20 years ago. I saw a guy at the Bosely clinic in SFO, took one look at the salesman, and asked if he had it done...it didn't look right at all. That is what scares me off of it...that and the expense...

Good thread.

the most disturbing to me would be troubles with pregnant women and contact with semen. How bad is the risk with 1mg doses?? How long before pregnancy are you suppose to stop using finasteride?? I sure double check that issue with a physician and more websites but what's your idea ?

Archived