Looking for a new digital camera

khunsanuk

Hi,

I'm looking to buy a new digital camera and would like to get some advice.

The camera is to be used for holiday snapshot stuff only, so no need for fancy features (I'm too stupid to understand them anyway :) ). I want a small camera with at least 4M pixels, which seems to be the lower range anyway from what I can tell.

Seeing that my wife will be using it as well an option for Thai menu language would be useful, but is not a necessity.

Price range I am looking for is roughly 10-15K.

Looking at Cameracity we found a few we liked the look off, but I have no idea if they are any good.

Sony CyberShot DSC-T11

Sony CyberShot DSC-T33

Canon Ixy55 / IXUS50 / SD400

Sanuk!

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Although I dont own one. I have always been impressed with the Sony cameras. They usually get good reviews.

http://www.dcresource.com/

http://www.dpreview.com/

are the best sites I have found on the subject.

Other than MP you would like to know what the sharpness and color contrast of the camera are like.

If you like bright, vivid colors, Kodak tends to have the best saturation of colors but less sharpness. Nikon and others with professional lenses tend to make pictures that are sharp and high in contrast.

At your price range you should be able to get a good camera, just have to decide what you think makes a good picture and go from there.

Hi,

"At your price range you should be able to get a good camera, just have to decide what you think makes a good picture and go from there."

Unfortunately I really do not know (makes it easy, eh? :) ).

I guess nice colors would be a plus as one of the first things we'll be doing with it is taking hunderds of shots of my wife in the flowerfields of Holland.

Sanuk!

The big problem I find with cheaper digitals is shutter lag. Not so important for posed pics and landscapes but if taking pics of lets say kids running around what you get is just after what you wanted. With digital SLRs this problem does not exist i am told but it's worth checking on this, have a look at steves digital camera review which must be the best on the web-peter

http://www.steves-digicams.com/hardware_reviews.html

KS ? I?d go with the Canon over the two Sony?s you mentioned even though I?m not familiar with the particular models you mentioned. ONE of the problems with Sony digital cameras is there use of memory sticks (and Pro memory sticks) which are about the most expensive type of flash card. Try to pick a camera that uses SD or CF.

I understand your predicament as there are just so many digital cameras to choose from, it?s a daunting task. If you can, take your time and do use the camera review links mentioned in the other posts to check on the cameras performance before buying.

Thai3 ? I think a digital SLR would be way out of the price range KS mentioned. Further, these cameras are aimed at the professional (expensive) and are packed with advanced and complex features I don?t think KS is interested in.

BTW, I own three digital cameras, a tiny Casio, a Pentax that is just slightly larger and my latest - a Canon S70 which has advanced features and boasts 7.1 Mega-pixels. The Canon is of course the better camera of the three, but it?s about as large and heavy as I?m willing to go. I like all three cameras for different reasons...

ST

Thai3 - Shutter lag is a major problem, only way to overcome it I've found with kids ect is to practise hitting the shutter BEFORE you want too!

Not a good way.

I've posted some pics in the gallery by the way, not sure if you can get to them, of 3 different morlams, only a few pics from each.

All taken with the Camedia Olympus I have

DOG

KS,

I use a Canon Powershot A95 since a few months and I have no complaints whatsoever. It's my first cam so I can't really compare it with others, but I'm satisfied with all the nice and handy features a basic shooter like me needs.

5M pixels but no Thai language feature.

Cost me 16K back then (was on a discount) but price seems to have lowered a few thousand since my purchase, as usual ::

hard to go wrong with the new stuff coming out. The improvements in dig, photo have been exponential. yes, stick to surefire brands and pick up the one you and mrs find the cutest (I hate the very small, hard to hold steady). Even the feature-loaded ones can be used simply, switched on automatic.

Also, you may consider have one that allows you to make little movies. It's a fun feature to have, like 30 or 40 seconds of a B-day when candles are blown, or street perfomers routines.

My NIKON coolpix 3200 (old already, 4100 seems what you need) allows to make movies as long as i wish, using the memory available on the card (nothing smaller than 128MB these days). if interested in that feature, make sure the movie format allows at least 15 frames per second, 640X480 pixels. 30fps is even better.

It won't set you back much, these cameras can be had for 200 to 350 US$ (same price in thailand these days, bahts of course)

be also aware that these snapshot dig cameras do not click the shutterbug until proper focus and lighting has been achieved. You have to aim, press the button half-way, camera laser adjust to the distance and light, gives you the green (or red) light, then you push full way. may take a second, more or less. but your shot will be as crisp as a croissant fresh from the oven.

Archived