Looking for a new digital camera

khunsanuk

I have the Canon SD400 you're looking at. It's a very good camera for its' class. VERY small if that's what you want. A previous poster mentioned the Canon A95 which is also a camera I had, and is very good and a little bigger. I also have a digital SLR that someone mentioned, and it is by far the best way to go if you want to spend the money. Figure at least a $1000 US. They are also pretty big. All the cameras are pretty good these days. The best thing to do is go try them out in a store and see which one feels best in your hands.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Take a good look at the Casio's with the extra large lcd monitor. They are in the upper range of your price level, but having that big screen really makes looking at the photo's from the camera more enjoyable and useful. Evaluating an image on a 1.5 or 1.8 mm screen is frustrating, but with the Casios big screen you can see some of the detail.

I do not have one, but friends who do seem to like them. I bought a inexpensive Kyocera with a large screen, and although I can't recommend that particular camera, having the big screen is nice.

David

Hi,

The Sony's both have 2.5" monitors, but to me this is not really a big deal.

SLR is not something I need (not even sure what it means :), but at $1000 I don't need it).

I guess we'll just go to Fortune over the weekend and play around a bit.

Thanks for the advice guys.

Sanuk!

I'm planning on being at dinner on Friday. You can take a look at my camera then if you want.

It's not on your list. Kodak LS743.

I am really happy with it. Takes very nice pictures. Very little shutter lag (1/10 of a second). I'd buy it again in a heartbeat.

It's right in the lower part of your price range.

Only negative is that there is no indicator telling you how much battery is left (until it is almost out) and I could not find a place to buy an extra battery over here. My friend is hopefully bringing one from the States in a few weeks.

I've read a few reviews on the camera and it says it has poor autofocus in dark light settings but I've got some nice pictures in the bars.

<<burp>>

It is all memory cards and battery life.

Try this one:

The DiMAGE Xg is truly a shirt-pocket's camera, measuring only 3.4(W) x 2.6(H) x 0.8(D) inches and weighing a mere 4.2 ounces. This is one digital camera that must be seen to be believed. The DiMAGE Xg is so easy to carry; you won't know it's there until you need it. But when you do need it, it will be ready with a host of high-performance features.

Hi KS,

have to add my shit, too.

Things I find important in an digital camera.

- makes pics of good quality. Best check tests in computer mags, they give a very good overview.

- metal case. Most times they survive when you drop them.

- runs on standard batteries like AA and on rechargeables as well. These rechargeables are cheap and you can take more than one set. Can buy standard batteries when there's no chance to recharge. Unfortunately the really slim cameras all have their own special battery size.

- Uses either Compact Flash or Secure Digital cards. These make 70% of the market, are cheaper than other cards of the same size and easy to find.

- very short reaction time, short time to focus. If you wanna do snapshots, especially kids on the playground, this is a must.

I tried to save a little, my first camera was slow and too big. An expensive miscalculation.

Lots of cameras that fit to the criteria, so I won't recommend one.

khunsanuk said:

Hi,

"runs on standard batteries like AA and on rechargeables as well."

Ooohhh.... very good point there. Thanks.

Sanuk!

Thinking batteries, if it comes down to a choice, buy one that uses rechargeables. You will spend a fortune in replacement batteries otherwise.

Downside is DON'T FORGET YOUR CHARGER!

You can buy a backup battery.

I use a Sony DSC P10 (I think) and love it. Slow to reset, but otherwise small with good quality. Fairly rugged, I carry it everywhere. Can hold a 5 minute movie on a 128 mb card. I'll bring it to dinner on Friday.

I bought a Minolta DImage XT 2 years ago (about $400 or 16,000 baht at that time. I bought it primarily because of its size and its ease in making adjustments to the basic camera operations.

I have been happy with it and usually carry it in one of my pockets most of the time so it is a handy size. Takes good pictures and the only thing I would do different is buy a carrying case for it when I bought the camera. I didn't buy a case originally and didn't notice until too late that my viewing screen got scratched as a result. No effect on pictures though.

Archived