wine prices in thailand?

i was wondering, why the wine prices in thailand are so high, concerning the prices of whisky, beer, etc...

will it go lower in future?

who can inform me?

If you enjoy wine ...take it into Thailand with you.

7/11 used to have some good and cheap wines...now they have gone and what is left is expensive.

Big C have a good selection...will have to pay 500THB for a drinkable bottle.

SEA..is expensive for booze..take as much duty free aas you can...and in my case ...try and find *diet*coke :doah:

Huge taxes on wine, hits the local stuff as well as import . . . . however the FTA between Aus and Thailand means shortly some good Aussie wine cheap.

Occasionally bargains (for here) can be had - 500 bottles of good Aussie plonk, whch at home would be 300 baht

DOG

Guess it depends on where you're comparing too about whisky.

JW Black is 1000 baht here. Over the border it's 750.

JW Gold is 1900 or 2000 baht here. Over the border it's 1500.

As for wine. Renwood is a beautiful zinfandel that I used to stock in my cellar in the US. US$35 a bottle (now probably 50, grown in reputation). Anyways I was amazed to find this here. Not Old Vines but still a good vineyard from this vintner. 4,000 baht. $100.

Was interesting to see a Grgich (sp? but it's close if not spelled correctly) in a restaurant. I recognize them mostly from their excellent chardonnays, but this wasn't a chardonnay. Was a type of red. 2,000 baht.

<<burp>>

GG, Grgich is correct.

In Pattaya I usually buy some not so bad australian red wine 500-600 baht for 1.5 L on extra price normally in Best supermarket (North or Center Pattaya Rds intersections with 2nd Rd - 2 shops) or Big C (opposite soi 2/3) sometimes. Big C is better for whiskys and especially Chivas for sometimes as low as 795 baht for 0.75 L.

I'm sure I read somewhere that wine will "gradually" reduce from pre FTA rates of 40% duty, to zero by.......wait for it...2015.

Bloody long time to wait for a drink !!!!

I have no idea as to how the reductions will be staggered, but if my recall is correct, it will be 10 years before all duty is gone.

Realistically, if for example the rate drops by 4% p.a., the only offset will be that wines from Oz will maintain their current price levels for the next 10 years, as normal inflation and price increases will "eat up" any savings.

Chock dee Dumsoda

Archived