Should Liverpool play CL next season?

limbo

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't think UEFA will change the rules. They have already passed on the descision to the FA, and said that its up to them. This means that its Everton out if L'pool are in, and that won't happen.

If they were in any doubt on what to do, they wouldn't have spoken so clearly and given the responsibility to the FA. The rules will probably be changed to make sure this situation doesn't happen next time.

Myself I think the rules s*ck, but you can't change them to give advantage to one team.

It'd be nice to see them in, but not at the expense of the 4 real qualifiers... if that was the option, I'd say no- although I did vote yes to Q1. It may be up to the FA who plays in the CL, but it would be pretty cruel to deny one of the 4 a spot after they've played for that this season.

Guest lazyphil

I agree CS,rules is rules, although I kind of follow them, (nothing like I did like in the 80's though) it makes no odds, you cant tinker with rules to suit the moment of glory.

UEFA does change rules. But not AFTER the fact. When rules are changed, everyone still has a fair chance.

I like the idea of the Welsh club offering to play them in a one off. They know they are not going to get past the qualifying round and they can make a lot of money in a one off v. Liverpool. I wouldn't be surprised if they want to play at the Kop and get half the receipts. That's one solution.

Plus, keeping LFC out would make Bibblies and Lazyphil upset...haha....just joking guys.

The only Arsenal related reason why I wouldn't like to see a 5th English side is that the money is split 4 ways. Not evenly. It depends on where you finish in your domestic league and in the CL. We got 30% of the pot last time I think. Anyway, its less money for us if it happens. If they play the Welsh club, I won't mind as much.

Joking aside, I would like to see winners defend their title. I wouldn't mind seeing a rule being made that a winner gets to defend their title and if they don't finish top 4 or whatever is needed they go to the qualifying rounds against the lowest ranked side.

The point is though that these "rules" are hardly the ten commandments! They change a lot, depending on what happens in football. The backpass rule changes, the offside rule changes, we even have silly rules about goal celebrations, golden goals and silver goals changing all the time. They change in an effort to make things better because it's hard to get them right first time (because we can't imagine every possible scenario before it happens).

To point out a further ridiculous aspect: if Liverpool were a German, Portuguese or French team, the current rules would let them back in as Champions because those nations only have 3 teams entered at the moment. It's only the rule that says "no more than 4 teams can be entered" that is currently stopping them. In other words, England are penalised for doing well.

Holders should always be automatically entered into the competition, whether it's for the World Cup, European Cup or whatever. It's tradition.

There's only one Anglophobe, William Gaillard (hey, French named guy hating the English shock!), who keeps making the noises about "we're not changing the rules". Meanwhile, all the rest, including the head of UEFA and people like Beckenbauer, are saying "let them in". I think they'll be let in. (Otherwise their rules'll look fucking silly - not letting in the champions, one of the best supported teams in the world, who've just participated in the most exciting viewer-grabbing final in 40 years!)

Archived