Should Liverpool play CL next season?

limbo

I heard that there was a nice moment at the end of the European Cup final when one of the bigwigs wanted to give the trophy to Jamie Carragher, thinking he was the captain, instead of Steven Gerrard!

Still, they're all better than Sepp Blatter.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

they have been entered into the 3rd Qualifying Round,1st Game July 12th/13th.

they will have to negotiate 3 Qualifying Rounds just to get into the Group Stages.

i wonder what will happen if they get into the 1st Qualifying Round where MU and Everton will enter.

will the rules still apply about Teams from 1 Country not being allowed to play one another?.

not a new rule.

Teams from lesser Countries start in the 3rd QR and then the bigger the Country the later they join in.

England have the top 2 going straight to the Group Stages with the 3rd & 4th Teams playing in the 1st QR.

i imagine the same for Spain and Italy and maybe Germany.

rules are rules and Liverpool had caused UEFA a problem.

as a compromise Liverpool have been allowed to enter but only from the lowest stages.

if they had been allowed straight into the Group Stages it would have meant that UEFA would have had to demote a Team from another Country who qualified by right.

but 1 Team from 1 Country will still have to be thrown out to accomodate Liverpool.

but this will cause Liverpool problems.

Liverpool have a binding lucrative contract to tour Japan at the same time as the 1st Qualifying Game in the CL.

i imagine they will have to send a shadow squad to Japan to fulfill the contract but i imagine the Sponsors will not be happy.

in the Group Stages no Teams from the same Country can play each other,but i don't know wether this applies to the Qualifiers.

'we wuz robbed' as we like to say here in the states when our team has been unfairly punished, usually by a referee, but in this situation its my beloved Arsenal by the money grubbing UEFA.

I have no problem with LFC being let in, but we, and the other 3 clubs should not suffer for it. Bottom line is, there will be 5 clubs splitting the money. Arsenal can lose more than 5 million pounds of money.

Let them defend the trophy but they should only get gate receipts and not be in the EPL pot of money to be divied out by a mathematical formula that would confound the geeks at Cambridge or Harvard.

I also say that a team, in any sport, has no God given right to defend a championship. In the states, if the previous years champion does not make the playoffs, they are out of the championship race. End of. All 4 of the major sports (gridiron/American football, baseball, basketball and ice hockey) have it structured that way. There have been more than a few occasions of that happening. Baseball has had the most cases.

Just to reiterate the 'God given right' to defend a championship, does the previous Olympian champion defend his 100 metre, world's fastest man title in the next Olympics automatically? No. None of them do. If they don't make it out of their country's championships they aren't in the Olympics.

i understand what you are saying about the money and i have to agree.

i also agree that Liverpool should not have a share of the fund allocated the the English Clubs.

when you think about it they might have an advantage and come out of it very well off financially.

if they reach the Group Stages they will have 6 Home Games compared to 3 for Chelsea and Arsenal and a possible 4 for MU and Everton.

therefore more money will be earnt......not really that fair if they take money off the 4 other Clubs.

your examples of Champions does not quite ring true.

European Football Competitions (and if you like the Euros and World Cup) are examples where Clubs are invited to play.

the governing authorities have the right to veto/ban/allow Clubs in or out of the Competitions.

just because Chelsea won the PL and by the rules automatically qualified,they still had to wait for a letter from UEFA.

but if they had transgressed in a bad way they could be banned next Season.

and don't forget your American 'World' Championships are a closed shop.

i don't see many invites going to many other Countries around the World to take part.

"and don't forget your American 'World' Championships are a closed shop.

i don't see many invites going to many other Countries around the World to take part."

Home run, Sayjann with all bases loaded.

Sorry CS couldn't resist to this one.

Archived