Should Liverpool play CL next season?

limbo

check_bin_krap said:

Hear, hear. 2002/2003 - you were minors who lost vs. Viking in UEFA Cup. Ever heard of that team before that Chelseafan?

Don't worry, you will get the chance of getting to pre Russian level again. It all goes in circles, and soon you will dream of Osgood and chopper Harris again.

Nope we'll be dreaming of Terry and Lampard :p

We've beaten the best and lost to the worst over the years....but not unlike other "great" teams......

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply
bibblies said:

The point is though that these "rules" are hardly the ten commandments! They change a lot, depending on what happens in football. The backpass rule changes, the offside rule changes, we even have silly rules about goal celebrations, golden goals and silver goals changing all the time. They change in an effort to make things better because it's hard to get them right first time (because we can't imagine every possible scenario before it happens).

Bibblies, whilst I agree with you that Liverpool should defend their title (like any other team), your missing the point that CS and I have made...You cant change the rules during the season. If the FA or UEFA state that the rules will change for 2005/06 then fine but to move the goalposts (excuse the pun) during the current campaign is wrong, especially as all the teams knew the current rules at the beginning of the 2004/05 season.

And this isn't sour grapes or anything, much as I wish it was Chelsea lifting the trophy, its just common sense.

chelseafan said:

You cant change the rules during the season. If the FA or UEFA state that the rules will change for 2005/06 then fine but to move the goalposts (excuse the pun) during the current campaign is wrong, especially as all the teams knew the current rules at the beginning of the 2004/05 season.

You're wrong. They can, it looks as though they probably will and they already have before.

Rules never changed at this stage of a season in response to unusual events? Cast your mind back to 1985 - All English clubs suddenly barred from competition. That wasn't very fair to Everton, was it? How about Marseille? In about 1993, they won the cup, finished top of their league, but were kept out for other reasons. 1992 - Yugoslavia qualify for the European Championships and are suddenly kicked out in favour of Denmark. Circumstances change.

I don't think they can kick out another team now (although Inter Milan would deserve it) but they could easily add another qualifying adjustment.

bibblies said:

Chocosteve - I heard one way being considered is to give Liverpool an automatic spot and make 2nd placed Arsenal do the qualifying rounds! :D

Show UEFA the Arsenal v. Liverpool game a few weeks ago and then ask them if they think Arsenal should have to go to qualifying and not LFC. ::

Gravesen was IMO the difference in Everton getting off to a good start in the EPL. Once Gravesen left for Real Madrid, Everton clearly wasn't the same club. Then at the end of the year, Cahill had some top notch performances that enabled Everton to hold on to the fourth spot. Everton deserves props for overacheiving this year; however, I would give their spot to Liverpool. Everton has no chance of doing anything in the CL. Just my opinion. Now everybody flame away.

Archived